Bad Alternator ?

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyways i went to go out the other day and the battery was completely dead so i had it jumped and it ran for about 5 min then it died at idle. Tried to start it back up and nothing battery still dead... so we get it jumped again and this time was told to disconnect the battery and if the boat died with out the battery hooked up it meant the Alternator was bad.

Then i had a guy telling me that disconnecting the battery like that could wreck the engine since it was EFI

so I'm wondering is it true what the guy said about wrecking the engine?

Falco

Cadet
Re: Bad Alternator ?

Not sure about pulling the cables while its running. Best way to check the alternator output is to use a voltmeter. Is your belt turning the pulley?

Ace52

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure about pulling the cables while its running. Best way to check the alternator output is to use a voltmeter. Is your belt turning the pulley?

wish i could get a place around here that is able to test the damn thing...

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

By pulling the terminals while running can destroy the diodes in the alterator also, bad idea! As for the fuel injection i'm not sure. Get a volt meter from an auto parts or supply depot a little multi meter worksm their inexpensive. get it running and test the output from the Alt. to the batt. Whats your dash gauge say? Should have around 14.2-14.7 Volts if it's charging right. Ya got an auto zone nearby? Bring your Batt. and Alt. to them and they will bench test both for free.