Ok what are stringers in deck restoration?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Ok what are stringers in deck restoration?

Do a search on "stringers" or "rotten stringers" and you'll see pics of them before and after repairs.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the structure that runs bow to stern on the inside of the hull. ties the hull together and sometimes supports the floor. usually 2 or more

if your afraid of asking stupid questions just follow my thread, i'll end up asking them, like he said "i have the right to remain silent but not the ability"

Ok cool well see my boat has been stored for two years the deck needs some repair before I can use it again. It was to expensive last year to run big boat insurance,Fuel,registration not in budget BUT this year I want it on the water.

It is a SLC2000 22 foot Chaparral boat is gorgeous V8 Volvo Penta DP , It has new 305 engine . Deck is rotten need to replace it .One of the reasons I came back to iboat.com.

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here ya go.
stringers-1.jpg

I don't know what kind of shape your deck is in, but if the repair you speak of is because of rot, then you need to be aware that this may be an indication that the stringers and/or transom could need some attention too. More often than not, if the deck is soft, everything underneath is soft. Just check it out good.

Well going over to check the engine this afternoon my brother in law used the boat for half a season and did not have it winterized I am praying it did not freeze . AND half the cover collapsed over the engine I am hoping no water got in through the carburetor. You might as why I let him use it I payed for repairs to boat so I let him used boat on small lake by them my mistake . So off to the engine repair section of the forums to ask some questions before I start it.
ShamsuCrowley

Hey anyone know where I can find a step by step on deck restoration in the forums?

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There are too many to count. Search "stringer".

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Hey anyone know where I can find a step by step on deck restoration in the forums?

. I didn't answer this when I first saw it because I thought it was a joke, there are at least ten threads on the first page of this forum discussing deck and stringer replacement, some in great detail.