I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

Will that center of the hub spin of clockwise or c-clockwise should be bolts behind it I think.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dude, I am of no help on those controls. I ripped and cranked mine right off as I was sure that I wasn't going to use em again. Can't recommend that method for you.:D

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Will that center of the hub spin of clockwise or c-clockwise should be bolts behind it I think.

Tried that - no go. Of course I didn't exert full pressure cause I have a tendency to break things when I do that.

I tried like the dickens to get that little e-clip out of there, but couldn't with the tools I had with me.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Just noticed the clip. I would bet that has to come off and it will release the unit. Try a pair of needle nose plyers, in the holes and pull them open. or get tool at a auto parts place there not that expensive.

paparoof

Okay more pictures!

Pulled up some of the vinyl on the floor to get a look at the wood underneath. Like the transom, there's some good and some that's pretty bad.
20100802_islander_0009.jpg

I can't say in polite company what I call this part of the boat.
20100802_islander_0010.jpg

And speaking of being polite, I'm only going to paste links to the photos of the mummified squirrel - please don't click on them if such things bother you. I'm imagining he had the bad luck of climbing into the nest and drifting off to sleep just as the leak in the fuel tank began and he died from the fumes. I'm now trying to think of boat names that reference this poor little guy. Let's hear your ideas!

Here's one to get you started: "Badenov's Revenge"

Squirrel 1

Squirrel 2

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

What Patton wrote back to the German Army in WW2 in the Afrika campaign..

NUTS!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Here is two (golly I am sick)

1. Wakeing the dead--get it?..wake=wakeing (ahem)

2. Tombs of endearment

sorry

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mummy's Curse? (everyone who touches this boat eventually goes broke....)

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

to go off one of the earlier posts.. about nuts.. and the poor deceased Squirrel, and that your broke ( like many of us )

I declare, " Broke 'n Squirrel " or " Broke Squirrel "

paparoof

As an aside.... I sent a new question to "Doctor Rot" (the CPES guy) asking if he thought CPES might be a replacement for Gluvit (since I have two gallons on the way anyway). Thought you folks might be interested in the answer.

Paparoof wrote:
I placed an order with you yesterday.

Then had another thought today - most of the aluminum boat guys are using another epoxy product called Gluvit to seal up leaky rivets in the hull. The reported benefits being that it cures slowly so it seeps into the tiny crevices and that it remains flexible so it won't crack when the hull flexes.

So the new questions - would CPES serve in this capacity as well? How flexible is it when cured? Will it stick to aluminum?

Doctor Rot wrote:
CPES will stick to aluminum, and it might stop the leaking, but Gluvit is thicker and is probably the better choice for this application. I have used Glovit and it is a good product. You could also use Glovit after a CPES application, if you wanted to. The products are compatible.

CPES is plenty flexible when it has cured...no worries there.

Doc

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I now like the Doc just a little bit more. Cool !

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice honest answer there. Gluvit has etching ability right in it which makes it ideal for aluminum.

paparoof

Hey Islander-owners:

I haven't pulled up my floors yet so I can't measure to see if this will fit in the center section under the floor. Do you guys have measurements? Will it fit?

This tank is 48" X 26" X 9"
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/1879572478.html

This is the same guy I bought the new motor from and this is a great price and I really don't like the above-floor boxes under the seats, so if this fits I think this is a perfect solution.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

you ain't kidding about the perfect solution....looks like 30+ gallons, and underfloor tank puts the weight right where you want it, low and amidships. hope it fits.

Huron Angler

Admiral

jasoutside should be able to get some specs for you to see if that tank fits.

I've had it with all my external 6 gallon tanks, what a hassle:rolleyes:

Having one large tank would be soooo much easier and more convenient so I'm with ya there.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey Islander-owners:

I haven't pulled up my floors yet so I can't measure to see if this will fit in the center section under the floor. Do you guys have measurements? Will it fit?

This tank is 48" X 26" X 9"
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/1879572478.html

This is the same guy I bought the new motor from and this is a great price and I really don't like the above-floor boxes under the seats, so if this fits I think this is a perfect solution.

Hey buddy, that ad is deleted. Did ya buy it?? I am pretty sure it will fit. I'd be happy to take some exact measurements to be sure if you like.

Tell ya what, a tank like that would sure save you time and effort vs. repairing that old one.

Cheers!