Lower Unit Vent Screw Gasket for 1999 50 HP Johnson

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, and thanks for reading.

I'm trying to find the gasket for the lower unit vent screw. I found the gasket for the drain plug, but I can't seem to find the gasket for the vent screw. The gaskets look different, as the vent screw seems a bit smaller.

Are these two gaskets in fact different?

Thanks again!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower Unit Vent Screw Gasket for 1999 50 HP Johnson

They should be identical, mstan. My guess is that one has been rethreaded.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Parts diagrams do show different part numbers for the two seals on some versions.
Some appear to have an O ring on the level plug and a washer on the drain plug. Others have two identical washers.

If it should have an O ring then the underside of the head of the screw should have a recess for it. The undersides of the screw heads that are fitted with washers are flat.

In the absence of a model number I can only guess that yours is one that requires an O ring on the level screw.

0336982 if I am correct

Check your exact model in the parts catalog at http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?siteid=1&catalog_id=0&s1=179ec9649fdc2840e098b94c088f659e

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Hello-

Thanks very much for the info guys.

Vic - I have my model number:

J50VLSIG

2001 Johnson 50 HP

Thanks for including the link. I tried to find this model number in the parts catalog but I couldn't find it. They only had 7 model numbers in the list for 2001 50 HP Johnson. I checked in their "Model Year Guide" and found my serial number in there. Saw a bunch more numbers in there that weren't in the parts catalog.

Thanks again!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

All the models in the parts list seem to have different screws for the level and drain plugs with an O ring on the top one and the more common flat nylon washer on the bottom one.

I'd guess yours too should have a O ring on the level screw esp as you say it looks different to the drain screw.

Check that the old O ring is not still stuck in the hole.

AFAIK the heads of the screws that have O rings have a recess on the underside .

mstan55

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks again Vic for your great help.