hard shifting

glasstream86

Seaman Apprentice
i go to push the throotle forward and the motor revs up pretty high then i hard thud like the gears catching and then it goes into gear. could this be a shift cable problem or is my lower unit goin out? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

SLiM JiM 156

Cadet
Re: hard shifting

i go to push the throotle forward and the motor revs up pretty high then i hard thud like the gears catching and then it goes into gear. could this be a shift cable problem or is my lower unit goin out? any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Try unhooking the lower shift cable and see if it moves freely, if it does try moving the controls with it still unhooked, if its still stiff try removing the cable from the controls and moving it. That should isolate it.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have a cable issue. The throttle should not open before it goes into gear. You need to get this corrected before any damage is done to the drive.

It would help to know what drive we are talking about too.

D

DJ

You are probably in the wrong area.

What type of engine?

Outboard or I/O?

Once known, go to the appropriate engine section.

Thanks.

D

DJ

There you go, I will move this to the I/O section.

Post there with the model year.

Thanks.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Click here for info on the cobras.

They are very sensitive to shift cable adjustment/stretch/binding - if not right, they eat thier own gears. A couple hundred dollars turns into a couple grand real quick.

glasstream86

Seaman Apprentice

thank you for the webpage and history 180shabah i believe mine could be a king cobra the gears are on top and the water pump is located right behind them. i took off the upper case to change the water pump since my ears would not push enought water up to the pump and that is when i noticed the gears at the top this is my first boat so i did not know any better. do you have any more reading material so i can get more familiar with the outdrive i have

180shabah

Rear Admiral

do you have any more reading material so i can get more familiar with the outdrive i have

Go to the top of this (I/O) forum and click the adults only link, scroll down to #12 OMC Information - you can get a pdf manual, it's not a factory manual but it is free. There is also alot of great general maintenance info in that section.

glasstream86

Seaman Apprentice

ok one more question is there any special procedure to adjusting the king cobra outdrive or will it be in the manual i am goin to download

180shabah

Rear Admiral

It should be in the manual, but having never owned a Cobra, I've never actually read the manual....