Trouble loading onto trailer... looking for ideas?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a 17' Glasstream Fish and Ski with trailer and took it out this weekend. I've not owned a boat in years, but have trailered probably a dozen boats over the years. If memory serves me, I always backed in until the tips of the bunks were out of the water and then I could drive it up to about a foot from loaded, and crank it on with the wench. I tried that this weekend and it didn't go well.

When I came into the trailer, I ended up about half a foot from the bow stop, but the nose of the boat was coming in a little under the stop... not up well above it. This particular boat's bow stop can slip around and the metal bracket could damage the bow if I'm not careful. It seemed like trailer was at too steep of an angle to the trailer so things weren't lining up. The prior owner put the trailer deeper in the water and basically attached the bow hook with it still floating and then tried to time it right as he pulled out to have it "land" on the trailer bunks correctly as he pulled out. I told him I thought he was too deep and he explained that he didn't want to crank it up, and that he was worried about hitting the bow stop. I'm thinking maybe I was still too deep in the water, even with the tips of the bunks out. The hull of the boat is pretty flat like a bass boat, so it doesn't take much to put the nose down under the stop. I tried having my two kids sit in the very back of the boat and it didn't help.

I read this thread and everyone seemed to be suggesting having the finder tops sticking out of the water... I was a lot deeper than that. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=387887 . So am I too deep? If I end up a foot back from the bow stop or more, will I be able to winch it on with the crank? Is that bad for the bow hook or the winch if the boat is being pulled with full weight on the bunks?

I want to take it back out in a day or too and try again when its not the weekend and the water is calmer so looking or some ideas.

Also, I need to add a safety chain as there isn't one on there now. Where should I mount the chain at? I've attached a picture.

Final question... as I'm coming onto the trailer, how much should I trim up the motor? I know that the more trimmed up I go, the harder it is to steer but I don't remember from years back how far up I brought it as I was coming into the trailer.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

web_IMG_0561.jpg

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trouble loading onto trailer... looking for ideas?

First off, ditch that bow stop and buy a roller style bow stop. I have one like in this link and love it.

From your description I would say you are putting the trailer way too deep. The winch, bow eye and boat are made so that you can winch it up the bunks.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, ditch that bow stop and buy a roller style bow stop. ...

From your description I would say you are putting the trailer way too deep. The winch, bow eye and boat are made so that you can winch it up the bunks.

Thanks for the quick answer. I was just looking at those type of bow stops and that looks a lot safer. Do you think that will fit in as a direct replacement on the one that is there? I'll take some measurements tomorrow.

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree. I have learned from experience that most loading problems are a direct result of that. You have towed a dozen boats over the years, and this one, number 13 (lucky right?) will be slightly different, just like each other one.

Those eye hooks (and winches) are strong! You shouldn't have to worry about that, but please, do go forward and install a safety chain. Somewhere in your winch post to your eye hook:)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

They make the roller bow stop in 3" and 4" width. That is the distance between the metal side plates. One of those sizes should fit just fine.

dozerII

Admiral

By looking at the photo, you can see that your winch line is being held down slightly by your bow stop. Idealy the cable should pull forward and down on the bow. If you were to unwind all your cable and rewind it so it pulls off the bottom of the winch instead of the top it would do this, and also make your bow stop last longer.
Glen

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

By looking at the photo, you can see that your winch line is being held down slightly by your bow stop. Idealy the cable should pull forward and down on the bow. If you were to unwind all your cable and rewind it so it pulls off the bottom of the winch instead of the top it would do this, and also make your bow stop last longer.
Glen

Good point... I didn't notice that until looking at the picture. So can a winch wind either way? Is there anything I need to do to make it wind the other way?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I agree. I have learned from experience that most loading problems are a direct result of that.

Yep. You generally want about half the length of your bunks out of the water, that way there will be enough water under the boat to get it onto the trailer and enough bunk out of the water to get the boat straight. You should be able to idle the boat part of the way onto the trailer then winch it the rest of the way up. If there's too much friction between the hull and bunks to winch easily just back her in a little more. Do that and swap that bow stop for a bow roller and you should be fine. ;)

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow... what a great forum this is... you guys are awesome!

You have towed a dozen boats over the years, and this one, number 13 (lucky right?) will be slightly different, just like each other one.

Haha.. good one. Its been a lot of years since I did regular boating. I only owned one boat before and it was a looooong time ago. For a long period after that, we had close friends that had a series of boats... a dozen is probably an exaggeration, but it seemed like he upgraded every year. His wife hated to help him trailer them, so I always ended up helping. Now that I'm thinking about it, I almost always was on the truck and winch end and he was on the boat end. So I guess I don't have as much experience driving onto the trailer as I was first remembering.

Yep. You generally want about half the length of your bunks out of the water, that way there will be enough water under the boat to get it onto the trailer and enough bunk out of the water to get the boat straight. You should be able to idle the boat part of the way onto the trailer then winch it the rest of the way up. If there's too much friction between the hull and bunks to winch easily just back her in a little more. Do that and swap that bow stop for a bow roller and you should be fine. ;)

If it ever stops raining :( I will get back out and try it with have the bunks half out of the water. After thinking about this and reading your comments, I am guessing the back of the boat was still floating which would cause the nose to angle down. In the panic of trying to get it loaded, I did back further in which allowed me to get it loaded, but the boat was completely floating at that point. Makes sense now, but in the heat of the moment the mind doesn't work so well.

On the question of trim? How much should I have to trim up to be safe? Do you steer in with it down and trim up a little at the last second, or what? Like I said, its been a lot of years since I did this and the memory has faded.

They make the roller bow stop in 3" and 4" width. That is the distance between the metal side plates. One of those sizes should fit just fine.

That makes sense... I'll have to go measure it and guessing its one of those two. Looking at the picture, do you think the square bracket corners are going to stick up past that roller stop? I was thinking I may have to round that off, but maybe the roller is a lot bigger than I'm thinking.

So is there an easy way to safely lift the boat up a bit while on the trailer so I can replace the bow stop, or will I have to do this while the boat is in the water at the lake?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you can find a way to do it slide the boat back on the bunks just enough to make the swap. You shouldn't need more than five or six inches clearance between the bow and the stop that's on there now, so the boat will be fine that way for a few minutes (just don't leave it there long or tow it in that position). However, that may be easier said than done since your boat's probably fairly heavy, so if you can't do it that way just make the change next time you drop her in the water.

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered the roller stop and a safety strap. I will try to find a day when the weather is calm and I can slip away for a few hours during the day when its not busy at the lake and leave the boat tied to the deck while I install it. This seems safer than any alternative. For a brief moment I was thinking I could use a floor jack and some blocks of wood to lift the bow of the boat up a few inches, but that would probably not be good for the hull.

dozerII

Admiral

convergent, While out at the lake this last week I pointed the winch line being the wrong way to to fellows and we changed them both without a problem, yours should be the same. I find that trim is a seat of the pants thing, I trim till the boat starts to porpuse alittle then back till is runs smooth and get my best results.

Glen

fishrdan

Admiral

For a brief moment I was thinking I could use a floor jack and some blocks of wood to lift the bow of the boat up a few inches

That's what I would do. If you are worried about scratching the gelcoat, throw a piece of carpet on top of the wood. It's not going to take a whole lot of pressure to lift the boat enough to replace the bow stop, though you might have to attach the trailer to your truck, so the trailer does not move.

Heck, you might even be able to release the winch and have the boat raise up enough to work on the bow stop.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Forgot to say welcome aboard, Convergent. Where do you hail from?

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I would do. If you are worried about scratching the gelcoat, throw a piece of carpet on top of the wood. It's not going to take a whole lot of pressure to lift the boat enough to replace the bow stop, though you might have to attach the trailer to your truck, so the trailer does not move.

Heck, you might even be able to release the winch and have the boat raise up enough to work on the bow stop.

OK, gotcha... I was worried about cracking the hull or something putting pressure in one place, but I guess you are right... there isn't a lot of weight up on the bow of the boat and it should just pivot up a little.

One thing to look at is the bunks themselves. If the bunks weren't originally configured for this boat, they may be out of alignment. I use rollers exclusively so I'm not a bunk expert. However, if the new bow stop doesn't improve it, maybe you need to move the bunks a little closer together at the front so that they push the front of your boat a little higher at the bow.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

One thing to look at is the bunks themselves. If the bunks weren't originally configured for this boat, they may be out of alignment. I use rollers exclusively so I'm not a bunk expert. However, if the new bow stop doesn't improve it, maybe you need to move the bunks a little closer together at the front so that they push the front of your boat a little higher at the bow.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

The trailer is made for the this boat and came with the boat new, so I don't think that's a problem. Nothing is adjustable on the bunks... they are welded in place. The bow stop may have been replaced over the years, but I am doubting that too because the boat is in such great shape. Its a '93 and barely used, garage kept. I put a nice scratch on one side of it on the dock the first time I put it in the water, and its worse than any scratch I can find anywhere on the boat already. I think my problem is probably being too deep in the water with the trailer and look forward to trying it again.... if it will ever stop raining! :(

skargo

Banned

When you do figure out the proper depth to sink the trailer(they are all different), you should, when retrieving, dunk the bunks comepletely to get them wet, then pull forward to your predetermined spot. This will make for less friction and easier winching.

Welcome to iboats and good luck!

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you do figure out the proper depth to sink the trailer(they are all different), you should, when retrieving, dunk the bunks comepletely to get them wet, then pull forward to your predetermined spot. This will make for less friction and easier winching.

Welcome to iboats and good luck!

Thanks for that tip... I had read that in another somewhat funny thread, and was planning to do it next time out.

skargo

Banned

Thanks for that tip... I had read that in another somewhat funny thread, and was planning to do it next time out.

I do it every time. My boat is around 5K pounds and I typically winch the last 2' at the most, she glides right on up for me.