Propane Grill on My Boat

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I really don't have a convienent way to mount a grill so that it hangs over the side or stern when grilling. Is it just plain crazy (as a fire hazard) to place the grill on the table that is mounted on the deck? I know propane is heavier than air and will find its way into the cabin, so I would keep the cabin door and portholes closed while in use.
Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: Propane Grill on My Boat

Are you talking about one of the little portable grilles with the 1lb. LP bottles? I assume you're referring to the Magna grilles that hang over the side, which apparently won't work for you. Unscrewing the little LP bottles from the regulator should give you no problems for a small cheapo grill for storage. Same setup essentially as the Magna. Or are you trying to install a full blown Weber grill with the 5 gal tank? On what kind of boat?

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem so over the winter I built a portable galley for my 20 foot cuddy. Being a caterer provided me with some culinary background. I built a box approximately the size of a cooler....say 20 x 12 x 15. ..... hinged it with a lid being about 3 inches tall....When that lid is flipped open I attached a table top cooking unit that runs on a cannister of fuel....bolted that puppy down....next to it I constructed a storage area for my knifes, tongs, spoons, spatulas, etc.....underneath the open lid I put a 3/4 inch plumbers flange and got a piece of 3/4 inch pipe to serve as a leg brace....so now I've got this cooking stove....back to the main box.....I cut an old cutting board to fit and nailed a 1 x 1 ledger board so that the cutting board is level with the open box.....I also attached another coleman burner to the outside of the box so I really could boil some water...... anyway.....I keep a saute pan, a sauce pan with lid, extra fuel bottles and small quanitites of spices in the main box.....(by the way small quanitities I mean....just an inch or two in old Target Medicine bottles....waterproof that way).....clean everything up...close the lid.....lock it down and then I took an old cushion an snapped it on top so that I've got another place to sit when I want......if this rube goldberg concept makes sense to you I send along some photos.....From a menu standpoint allow me to recommend "the two burner gourmet' by Tery L. Searfoss.... It's about having great food, with little equipment....life is so much more than hamburgers!

cr2k

Captain

You bet it is..There are hot dogs, polish, hot links, and bologna.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You're talking about the Weber Baby-Q and disposable propane cylinders, right? 2 points:

1. If you're concerned about heat damage, test it in the yard sitting on a piece of plastic or something. I'll look around and see if I have something suitable you can set it on. I think that whatever legs are on the unit give it enough standoff to prevent damage by letting air circulate underneath the grill. Far as I know, they're made to sit on a picnic table and many of them are made of plastic material.

2. As far as explosion hazard while it's fired up, there really isn't any IMO. Whatever gas comes out of the burner is consumed. No residual fumes to find their way into the cabin or bilge. Keep an eye on it in case the flame blows out. Disconnect the tank when not in use.

What are you gonna grill for Linda and I? :)

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem so over the winter I built a portable galley for my 20 foot cuddy. Being a caterer provided me with some culinary background. I built a box approximately the size of a cooler....say 20 x 12 x 15. ..... hinged it with a lid being about 3 inches tall....When that lid is flipped open I attached a table top cooking unit that runs on a cannister of fuel....bolted that puppy down....next to it I constructed a storage area for my knifes, tongs, spoons, spatulas, etc.....underneath the open lid I put a 3/4 inch plumbers flange and got a piece of 3/4 inch pipe to serve as a leg brace....so now I've got this cooking stove....back to the main box.....I cut an old cutting board to fit and nailed a 1 x 1 ledger board so that the cutting board is level with the open box.....I also attached another coleman burner to the outside of the box so I really could boil some water...... anyway.....I keep a saute pan, a sauce pan with lid, extra fuel bottles and small quanitites of spices in the main box.....(by the way small quanitities I mean....just an inch or two in old Target Medicine bottles....waterproof that way).....clean everything up...close the lid.....lock it down and then I took an old cushion an snapped it on top so that I've got another place to sit when I want......if this rube goldberg concept makes sense to you I send along some photos.....From a menu standpoint allow me to recommend "the two burner gourmet' by Tery L. Searfoss.... It's about having great food, with little equipment....life is so much more than hamburgers!

I would love to see pics of this.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Does your boat have any rod holders? Most grill manufacturers have a pole that will attach to the base. The pole has a 45-degree bend in it and it goes into the rod holder and hangs over the boat.

If yours doesn't have one for it, I know they also make a universal model that should be easily adaptable.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

I really don't have a convienent way to mount a grill so that it hangs over the side or stern when grilling.
There are many different mounts available. You can surely find one that works for you. I've used both rail and rod holder mounts will excellent results. You can also buy a dedicated mount just for the grill.

Is it just plain crazy (as a fire hazard) to place the grill on the table that is mounted on the deck?
IMHO, YES!
Just imagine the consequences if, as you were grilling, a large wake violently rocked your boat and spilled the entire grill- and hot coals- onto your deck. This is the reason that boat grills are mounted over the side of the boat.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated

Yeah- buy a proper marine grill with the appropriate mount. I've used a Magma for years and never had a grill-related accident.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

There are CG approved methods of using propane fuel on a boat. Basically it requires the tank to be in a container that is vented overboard, as well as other safety precautions. Google it to get the details.

But propane on a boat is dangerous, any way you look at it. Especially the little propane canisters. I can't tell you how many times I have unscrewed a propane canister from a torch or grill and the canister has a slow leak out the valve. Very bad in a boat.

Look for alcohol stoves and see what will work for you.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

lets see pics of your boat and maybe we can help determine what will work. I put a magma SS grill on my swimstep handle. Not the greatest, but it works fine and we take it down as soon as we are done. heres a pic:

August09beholdpics035.jpg

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think its a good idea for you to do that redone4x4. Nope no good at all, after it cools you should box that up and send it to me for proper disposal. ....and I'll even upgrade the shipping! Today would be nice cause I'm looking at cold cuts on the lake this afternoon.:D

Wow! A brat AND an afternoon on the water?! Up until now I thought it was like water and oil, just don't mix!

Seriously regarding the fuel source I would be more concerned about a liquid fuel(alcohol) than the propane. I have accidentally (..of course) had liquid fuel ignited that had run over my hand and down my arm, too easy to have happen and more likely in my opinion than an issue with a 2lb propane canister. Storage in an enclosed area would require some precautions for sure...

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't worry about it, I do it all the time and it's fine.

breakfast on the back of the boat:

IMGP5657.JPG

typical day in my office ;)

IMGP4581.JPG