modern console in a older boat

SRT8

Cadet
hey Guys I have a 83 18'6" starcraft holiday and I am planning on restoring it with new floors vinyl floors and want to try to find a newer full windsheild console to replace the dash and controls/gauges to make it look a bit newer or is there NOS parts availible for boats I have no clue if this will even work .Also is it possible to make my closed bow boat into a open bow with a casting deck and bowmount trolling motor boats in really good shape but the floors got a couple soft spots and has leaked for years so I would think the foams water logged it runs great and barely has a scratch on it and I got a smokin deal on it so I want to fish with it this season and I will fix it up over the winter I live in southern ontario so I would need Canadian suppliers if possible for parts I will add a pic of my new old boat.

Here's the old girl
summer2010296.jpg

Thanks guys for any info I will do a thread when I start the resto and NO it's not for sale LOL

larlarsa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: modern console in a older boat

Good looking boat!
i am in Toronto Canada too, i got mine from Kijiji,cost only 50.00,i am restoring my Starcraft Hoilday 14 ,i took the whole front part away to build a casting deck and to use this console.i re carpet the bottom in gray to match my deck carpet,still in process.

where is your location?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=388114

Attachments

• 572123m_20.jpg
    572123m_20.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 451782n_20.jpg
    451782n_20.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

SRT8

Cadet

Im in Tillsonburg about 30 mins north of lake Erie 25 mins south of Woodstock. I'm thinking of trying to find a wrecked boat with a good console and windsheild might take some time finding one but I have lots of time to look I just think it will look really nice with a rounded windsheild and new console ,gauges,steering wheel and controls you won't even know it's 27 years old I may not be able to do it I am just trying to figure out what I can do before I tear into a working boat .Thanks for the pics and that might work if I decide to go SC with no walk through windsheild.which is also a option not sure exactly what I'm gonna do yet.

SRT8

Cadet

Thanks lar and EZ I will keep my eye's peeled going to ask around at the marina's and I know were there's a 19' sideconsole starcraft I just have to convince the guy to part it out it has a few busted stringers might be fixable but looks pretty bad and the interior is already out and in dry storage so should be in good shape.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Really clean looking rig you have there!! Id say eBay has just about everything you'd need to do any sort of console refit. If it's not there just wait a day or two, it will be.

Personally I'd be sad to see that great looking Starcraft turned into an open bow. She looks so nice, great windshield too! Man there are plenty of open bow boats out there. You may want to save yourself the work/headache and just find an open bow, eh!

Welcome to iboats!!

Have Fun!!:D

SRT8

Cadet

Thanks Jas I am not sure what I'm gonna do yet I would be fine with finding a new dash and putting in some newer controls and steering wheel. then when I do the interior it will look real good I plan on keeping it for a long time mabye repowering it in a few years with a bit more HP it's a 120hp i/o now would like a bit more speed she tops out at 35mph speedo and GPS but I'm sure it's foam is water logged so it will prolly get a few more mph when I redo the floor and foam I am gonna put a stingray hydrofoil on it to which should get a few more mph's out of her .the boat came from my uncle who owned it for the last 15 years and it's been garage stored since new so I know it's been taken care of.I will add a couple pics of the interior when I go out on monday I am really liking the forum so far seems like alot of nice people and lots of cool old boats .

redfury

Commander

I've been toying with the idea of finding dash parts out of the boneyards and see if I can come up with something creative...lots of different styles that could be used if the dimensions are right. I'll probably end up making my dash from foam and glassing over it, but who's to say I don't find something cool in a yard to use....will have to wait and see on that one.;)

SRT8

Cadet

I've been toying with the idea of finding dash parts out of the boneyards and see if I can come up with something creative...lots of different styles that could be used if the dimensions are right. I'll probably end up making my dash from foam and glassing over it, but who's to say I don't find something cool in a yard to use....will have to wait and see on that one.;)

Never thought of that I could use the original dash as a patern to make a new glass one the problem with the original is its warped and cracked and all the gauge and switch trims are the same pretty sure I can get all that from the marina If ya do build something make sure ya post a bunch of pics.

sprintst

Commander

Great looking boat. Mine is an older version.

Here is the dash I picked up a while back and will try to retro fit as well. Iyt will get repainted as it's alum to match the boat. The switch panels will also get remade in alum to house new led illuminated switches. It will probably get left until the fall/spring as I have my hands full already.

I picked it up on e-bay but greatlakesskipper does regularly have the most stuff.

Attachments

• new dash (Medium).jpg
    new dash (Medium).jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1

SRT8

Cadet

Thanks thats a nice looking dash I spent a couple hours lookin on e-bay and GLS found some nice gauges but no dash I live real close to Lake erie so I should be able to find something out behind a marina or at a bone yard.

SRT8

Cadet

here's some pics of the interior I absolutely hate the cheap astro turf carpet but it will do till I redo the floor and you can see the cracks in the dash in a few picks I think I can fix it instead of replacing it though.

fishing09-10102.jpg

fishing09-10103.jpg

fishing09-10105.jpg

fishing09-10104.jpg

fishing09-10109.jpg

fishing09-10108.jpg

she's in pretty good condition I just want to make it even better.

D

DJ

There's a lot you can do with that old dash to freshen it. One idea is to recover it with the vinyl of your choice. Cheap and easy to work with.

New switches are easy to find and install.

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice looking starcraft - my opinion is leave the hull alone - but work on making the dash and console more modern looking. Unless you are really good at metal work, I think you might make a mess by turning it into an open bow.

SRT8

Cadet

Very nice looking starcraft - my opinion is leave the hull alone - but work on making the dash and console more modern looking. Unless you are really good at metal work, I think you might make a mess by turning it into an open bow.

If I do open up the bow it will be done by a marina .I am leaning towards leaving it I don't want a huge group of starcraft owners hunting me down LOL and the wife likes it for the dry ride I just went and got a nice peice of wood to replace the center part of the dash I will stain and varethane it tomorrow and get it in I will post a couple pics when I get it installed .

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If I do open up the bow it will be done by a marina .I am leaning towards leaving it I don't want a huge group of starcraft owners hunting me down LOL and the wife likes it for the dry ride I just went and got a nice peice of wood to replace the center part of the dash I will stain and varethane it tomorrow and get it in I will post a couple pics when I get it installed .

I'll tell ya what STR8, if you end up paying for somebody to turn that into an open bow you could have just about bought yourself a 2nd Starcraft! I'm thinking big $$$ to have somebody do that for ya. That's why most of us around here are grunting on our own boats, we are cheap labor, eh!

If your Starcraft was totally trashed, no windshield, and you were doing all of the work I think that would change things. I'd love for you to have an open bow but I think in your case you would be better off just picking one up rather than paying somebody to hack into your beauty of a rig.

P.S. You may want to look into epoxy and/or spar varnish for your wood there.

Your boat has tons of potential! Shoot, what am I talking about, she is great just the way she is! HAVE FUN MAN!!

SRT8

Cadet

I'll tell ya what STR8, if you end up paying for somebody to turn that into an open bow you could have just about bought yourself a 2nd Starcraft! I'm thinking big $$$ to have somebody do that for ya. That's why most of us around here are grunting on our own boats, we are cheap labor, eh!

If your Starcraft was totally trashed, no windshield, and you were doing all of the work I think that would change things. I'd love for you to have an open bow but I think in your case you would be better off just picking one up rather than paying somebody to hack into your beauty of a rig.

P.S. You may want to look into epoxy and/or spar varnish for your wood there.

Your boat has tons of potential! Shoot, what am I talking about, she is great just the way she is! HAVE FUN MAN!!

I am gonna do the wood for sure I did a test piece in a black varnish but didn't like it I will most likely do that over the winter though. As for the price of paying someone to do the work for opening the bow (which I'm pretty sure I'm NOT doing )it would still be WAY heaper than buying a new bassboat which I had planned on doing. This rig is way more family freindly but will never do 70-80mph lol but my tournement partner has a 20' bassboat that does so I'm good for now. I will more than likely just redo the interior and replace all the wear items on the engine and outdrive so I have a dependable ride. Thanks for all the suggestions

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a great plan! Bass boats scare me, they are fast!:eek::eek:

Jeep Man

Commander

Nice looking boat. (don't tell Ezmobee I said that). I concur that the Starcraft cult might hunt you down if you cut that one up. I'd start practicing sleeping with one eye open. Everything on there is fixable. The outer hull is in great shape. Pull the floor and foam and replace it, but first, find the leaks. Gluvit may become your best friend. I found a source just outside Windsor. Also there's a guy in Niagara Falls that has a lot of boat parts that I plan on checking it out in June. I'm looking for a few parts for my rebuild (14')

SRT8

Cadet

Nice looking boat. (don't tell Ezmobee I said that). I concur that the Starcraft cult might hunt you down if you cut that one up. I'd start practicing sleeping with one eye open. Everything on there is fixable. The outer hull is in great shape. Pull the floor and foam and replace it, but first, find the leaks. Gluvit may become your best friend. I found a source just outside Windsor. Also there's a guy in Niagara Falls that has a lot of boat parts that I plan on checking it out in June. I'm looking for a few parts for my rebuild (14')

I found the leaks 2 popped rivets I have put 2 self tapping SS screws in till I get the floor out to inspect the inner hull I am sure that this is the source of the leaking I asked my uncle and he said it leaked the whole 15 years he owned (don't know why he never fixed it ) the screws are just a temp bandaid to get me though this season and they work pretty good stayed dry last time out so hopefully it will stay dry till I can fix it right .With this gulvit should I do the inner hull anyways or is that overkill if it's not leaking anymore ,and can the rivets be fixed with the floor still in I have no clue how that is done on a boat .