How to secure floatation to floor?

Educator79

Cadet
Hey all, I have a 16 foot starcraft. I am re doing alot of the boat. I recently tore all of the floor out. I am going to put in the pink floatation stuff from HD like I have seen on here, in strips from bottom up the sides in between the...um...rafter type things? Anyway, should I glue these to the aluminum with cauck or anything, or just place them there and build the floor over them? One more quick thing, do you put gluvit on the inside of the boat, or the outside, or both? And one last thing...Sorry....I am taking all of the paint off of the boat and would like to leave it the shiny aluminum. Is this ok, or will it become discolored, or rust or anything? These three questions will get me moving right along, so thanks in advance!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: How to secure floatation to floor?

Hey all, I have a 16 foot starcraft. I am re doing alot of the boat. I recently tore all of the floor out. I am going to put in the pink floatation stuff from HD like I have seen on here, in strips from bottom up the sides in between the...um...rafter type things? Anyway, should I glue these to the aluminum with cauck or anything, or just place them there and build the floor over them? One more quick thing, do you put gluvit on the inside of the boat, or the outside, or both? And one last thing...Sorry....I am taking all of the paint off of the boat and would like to leave it the shiny aluminum. Is this ok, or will it become discolored, or rust or anything? These three questions will get me moving right along, so thanks in advance!

First off...welcome to iboats:) There are many of us restoring Starcraft aluminum boats and you've stumbled upon a great source for info regarding your project.

3M 5200 is a great waterproof permanent adhesive, that would work for securing the foam to the ribs(rafter type things). Another method is to stack the foam so it is just a tiny bit above the stringers, so that when the deck is attached it will compress the foam a bit and hold it very tightly.

Make sure you are leaving ample room in the bilge/keel area so water has a path back to the stern to drain or be pumped out.

While you have the deck pulled up you will find this a GREAT opportunity to apply gluvit to the inteior seams and rivets. Normally this will stop any existing leaks and also go a long way to prevent future leaks from loose rivets.

Prior to this you should check all rivets to see if they are tight by tapping on them. If you find loose ones they should be replaced altogether or "rebucked" using a heavy piece of metal on one side and a good whack with a hammer on the other.

Leaving her bare aluminum requires more maintenance, but does looks very nice if polished. Sharkhyde is a good product for protecting bare aluminum from what I've read.

One last thing...post some photos of your rig! We love old tin cans and it will help with any specific questions you might have. You will be surprised how many Starcraft folks will drop in and admire/help with you project.:D

Educator79

Cadet

Thanks for the reply! I will soon be ready for the gluvit. After that I will secure the flotation. Then I will have the real biggy...the flooring. The bow of the boat has been cut out and so I will have to figure out what to do about that. But, I will take pictures this evening and post them up, because I will be here until this thing is through. Thanks for the help!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! Lots of us Starcraft nuts on here. I had a 16' and then recently traded up to an 18'. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Educator79

Cadet

I hope I don't disappoint too many of you. It's been gutted. But I plan on doing something great, I'd like to build some sort of platform on the front, but thats a long way from now.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Welcome! Glad ya made it!!! Looking forward to seeing what ya have there. There are a bunch of great guys around here that are happy to help ya out! Heads up, there are a few that are riff raff too.:D

Cheers!

Educator79

Cadet

Lots of love around this place! Hey, I am thinking ahead to when it is time to build a floor. I have a single stringer down the middle. As I said the bow is opened all the way up. So, to build the floor...the boat seems too wide to put slats across from side to side and then put plywood on it...do I have to build a frame? Better yet, can anyone direct me to a project with pics of someone doing this? I'm looking, but not really having any luck. Thanks for the welcome!

Educator79

Cadet

Well I have some pics to show now...They show the boat, such as she is...I have the next step planned: a good cleaning inside and out. Everything clean to the shiny bone. Then, the gluvit, then the flotation, then....build the floor! Yikes!

Attachments

• HPIM2889.jpg
    HPIM2889.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2890.jpg
    HPIM2890.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2891.jpg
    HPIM2891.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2892.jpg
    HPIM2892.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM2893.jpg
    HPIM2893.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome. Sad to see such hack work on the cut out bow and stern. As you are cleaning up the hull inside be sure to clean out well the drain holes along the keel (limbers). Looks like the pbo did some expanding foam and that stuff gets into every nook and cranny. I combined my shop vac and compressed air simultaneously to blow and suck as much detritus as possible out from under the ribs (rafters:)).

Keep us updated on progress and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Albert

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Lots of love around this place! Hey, I am thinking ahead to when it is time to build a floor. I have a single stringer down the middle. As I said the bow is opened all the way up. So, to build the floor...the boat seems too wide to put slats across from side to side and then put plywood on it...do I have to build a frame? Better yet, can anyone direct me to a project with pics of someone doing this? I'm looking, but not really having any luck. Thanks for the welcome!

Check out Azlo's rig, post #33, that may give you some ideas...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347709

Educator79

Cadet

Yea, it is sad. Where are the drain holes? I don't see any. I was wondering about it though becasue the boat always holds water, even on an incline. SO, where are they?

bananaboater

Ensign

Educator79

Cadet

Yea, I found them, and have spent the last two hours trying to get them to flow. They still don't. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would never have believed that much dirt could be in those ribs. I've been jetting with a waterhouse, and trying to clean it with a wire brush on my drill. Tomorrow I'm taking something to stick in the drain holes to help clean it. Any other suggestions on how to get it to drain are appreciated. Thanks for the replys!

Educator79

Cadet

I guess a clotheshange might work? Coupled with a jet of water?

Huron Angler

Admiral

A clothes hanger worked for me, along with some water from the hose.

Sounds like those things are really clogged:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think a real pressure washer may be your friend in this situation.