merc outboard

packagedeal

Recruit
I mixed about a qt of gear lube oil by mistake in my oil resv of my merc 200 hp offshore engine. will this hurt?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: merc outboard

You have a potential for disaster if you do not drain it, clean it, and start over.

1. Gear lube will not flow as freely as TCW-3, the motor will not lube correctly and toast bearings and cyl's.

2. Gear lube will not burn like TCW-3, if you are lucky, it will foul spark plugs and die before it scours the bearings and cyl's.

Are you willing to take these risks and run it?

I don't think so!

packagedeal

Recruit

thx. the resv. holds 2 gals of oil to mix with gas. fuel injected. i only poured about a qt.

Moody Blue

Captain

thx. the resv. holds 2 gals of oil to mix with gas. fuel injected. i only poured about a qt.

OK, motor worth maybe $13K, and you have about $40 worth of oil that is now mixed with something that is not supposed to be in there. Your motor, your choice :)

No way would I risk it.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If you are as cheap, Oooops, I mean, as cost effective as I am, then save the oil in a separate container and use it to mix for weed-wacker fuel.

But like I previously posted, it WILL toast your motor, not IF, but when. When that gear oil restricts the flow of TCW-3 you WILL lose that nice $$$$ motor.

Always remember that old adage.

Pay a bit NOW, or pay a whole LOT later.

Which can you afford?

It isn't even worth thinking about, is it?

Just change it and be done.

And I bet you will NEVER make this mistake again, so actually, it is a cheap, errr, I mean, a much more cost effective lesson than a whole motor.