lower unit noise

008wagon

Seaman
i have a 1989 johnson 60 horse. i had a new [used] prop shaft installed. when trying to get on plane sometimes i hear a clicking noise coming from the lower unit for a couple of seconds. rpm's stay the same and the noise go's away. checked the lower unit lube and there was no metal in it. any ideas? also how much fluid does the lower unit hold?

008wagon

Seaman
Re: lower unit noise

also the prop is brand new. the reason the prop shaft was replaced is i hit my brick house with the stainless prop which in return bent it

008wagon

Seaman

also if the lower unit oil was about a inch and a half low would that cause any noise?

008wagon

Seaman

any ideas anyone? this only seems to happen after trolling for 45 minutes to a hour. could it be detonation ? or just a noisey clutch. if i stop and put it full thorttle it does not do it either just when i ease in to it to plane it out thanks

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Id make sure that the shift engagement is fully into gear...it might just be a tad short...then is pulled in...

, id turn the plastic wheel a turn or two and see if that stops the noise...pulling the motors shift lever a little further...

good luck

bob