Overfueling 9.9 johnson GT ?

smoktire

Cadet
HI
i got a 1989 9.9 johnson GT mod CJ10SPCEC 110 psi on both cylinder, it run good idle and wot but in mid range it kind of miss so i change the laminated coil ,the power pack ,The spark plugs and rebuilt the carb...still run bad on mid range the plugs get all wet and wont run back in idle position...change plug and it can idle for as long as i whant.i suspect that it got the wrong carb
The main jet is 54 334014
Aluminium restricor betwin carb and intake of the engine 334852
carb body MX431824
plastic carb top 337833
fuel bowl 333116
carb diameter is 1 inch and at the small midle is around .800 inch

Is theses number look ok?

Thanks jonh.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Overfueling 9.9 johnson GT ?

Have you tried shop.evinrude.com to reference your question?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Well I just tried to look up that model number and it doesn't exist.

diver_down

Seaman

double check the model number and year, you might have gotten one digit wrong.
fuel wise you can cross check against any of the models of the same year / vintage - they tend to be identical.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Hole in the fuel pump diaphram will suck gas into the motor and cause flooding, bad reeds will also cause flooding but usually isolated to one cylinder. Carb is probably correct but we need proper model number to confirm.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Check your pm- IE Private Messages

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The SP is special graphics, it's just a 9.9 rope start. According to the Evinrude site the 9.9 used a number 50 orifice plug, the 15 used what you have (#54) so someone has gone and tried to make it 15 without actually changing the carb, just the jet- that is why it runs like it does.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

OR someone has put a 15hp carb on it. Be careful here, messing with jets can lean it out to much and ruin your motor.

Rick.

Captain

Looks like Johnson was so proud of that "GT" unit they painted it with Evinrude colors!!! All kidding aside it looks to be in great shape. Rick.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Just googled the carb number- according to a poster on another site the carb body is from a 15 hp, soooo, someone has gone and stuck a 15hp carb on your motor. You want it to run right- put the proper carb on it, I'm thinking changing the jet may mess up everything and provide less fuel than air because of the bigger carb throat and cause it to run lean. Any second opinions on my statement?

smoktire

Cadet

Then why if the engine is the same for the 9.9 and 15 the 15 hp carb would make my 9.9 runing ritch ?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The powerheads are the same but there are differences in the exhaust tube, the 15 has a tuned exhaust I believe for your year.