Free Spark Tester!

Wee-Heavy

Cadet
Re: Free Spark Tester!

I was about 10 or 11 years old scootin' around the yard on my go-cart with a 5hp Tecumseh on the rear. Suddenly the motor starts running erratically and loses power but won't die. I turn around to look at the motor and see the sparkplug wire had come off the plug and was bouncing up and down just enough to keep it running. Since it was just a loose wire... I decided that I could just stick it back on. INSTANT lesson in small engine repair.:eek:

HANGEYE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think this is related?? I was bird hunting with my father. We came to a fence line and dad says, "this is the way to cross a fence". So I watch with intrest. Dad puts the shoulder plate of his shotgun on the top wire, muzzle pointed skywards, and pushes the wire down. As he steps across the fence, the wire slips off the gun and catches him in the crotch. It was an electric fence, one of those weed burners. At the age of 14 I learned that old sailors don't forget some of the words they learned at sea.

hunterfab

Cadet

Dangit!!!!! My other half just looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading and said "I didnt know that" Talk about a lost opportunity... LOL

Nandy

Commander

You guys are about to get me fire from my job!!!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

As a professional tech, I have been whacked by a fair share of ignition systems (usually ones w/ leaking distributor caps, or plug wires). I would have to say none hurt quite as much as an ignition system W/ an MSD box (imagine getting whacked 5 times an ignition cycle, instead of once, with a 50K volt coil to boot!:eek:)

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some of the last words I remeber as a kid helpin dad trouble shoot a lawn mower...

"Here... Hold this".... :eek:

I still have nightmares over this one... hehe :)

j_martin

Admiral

Ive found similar use of this form of tester...
During several attempts to start an old mower, my fiancee whilst sunbathing in her bikini on the lawn with a cool drink, insisted on telling me how to proceed with it. After doing the common sense mechanical check overs she continued to insist i try things her way. So i gave in. I tried every single suggestion she made. To no avail... Finally she bashfully retreated to the lawn chair. I knew it wouldnt last. Soon she began to make hairbrained suggestions she was obviously just plucking out of thin air. I snapped. She asked if there was sumn she could do to help me, as i played with the plug wires for the umpteenth time. I slid the plug into the wire and said YEAH actually, grab this metal part here, and hold the mower down while i pull the starter rope... :-D

I'd watch my back if I were you. :D