Duct tape and fiberglass and your skin

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Today I delved into the tedious job of pulling my 12gal tank on my ranger and replacing that pesky inoperative fuel level sender. Seemed easy enough, disconnect fill rubber tube and breather tube, which have access througha handy access panel, remove 2 brackets holdgin it to the floor, and move out the tank to access the sender. (All this done after emptying the remaining fuel...)

So after about q hour of trying to get the tank out, it occurs to me that most likely they installed the tank BEFORE they put the top half on because there's no way in the physical universe we occupy that I can ge that tank out without breaking something. However, if I jocky the tank slightly, I can get the sender closer the access plug I used to get the fill/vent tubes undone. Problem is that the access bezel is held on with some overly long SS screws, so I removed all 6 of those and took off the bezel to avaoid another nice laceration to the forearm.

AFter another hour I managed to get a 1/4 ratchet down the hole and gingerly remove the 5 bolts that hold the sender down to the tank. Talk about having to be a contortionist. If only my arm had one more joint. Anywa got it out and noticed the gas-logged cork "float" wish is more like a sinker now, as well as the exposed variac that is the sender itself. Not fried, but after 22 yrs in service it's done. Go to install the new one and everythig lines up nicely, but the new rubber gasket is holding the bolts just tight enough where I can't get enough finger strength with my fingertips to get them started. So I carefully start them with the ratchet which has about 1 degree of swing room and my hands start cramping up from all this contorting.

I managed to get 4-1/2 tightened down and the last one is jsut taking forever. Decided to button it up and work tomorrow.

As of right now, I'm sitting here and my forearms are on FIRE from the milliions of nice fiberglass pieces embedded in my skin. As I'm complaining to my wife about this she goes in to the kitchen and hands me a roll of duct tape (which we RARELY use for anything) and says: "Hmmph. Why don't you line the hole with this duct tape and then you won't get full of pickers when you finish tomorrow...."

:smack hand on forehead: Why didn't I think of that. UGH. You'd think this was my first time working on a vehicle of any kind.... LOL for the day.

Peace out. At least my fuel gauge is working so I guess that's some progress.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Duct tape and fiberglass and your skin

you can also use the duct tape to pull out the splinters from your skin

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

you can get a 1/4 air ratchet for $20 if you look around... WELL worth it for jobs like this where you have absolutely no room to move.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you can also use the duct tape to pull out the splinters from your skin

I also use as a on the spot band-aid when working on the boat or car. I keep a roll in both tool boxes!!:D

Bucks45

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been considering replacing my sending unit..........think I'll wait!:D

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

I've been considering replacing my sending unit..........think I'll wait!:D

Well if the top of the tank is accessible, or if you can pull yours out it's an easy fix, but I'll tell you, I'm a dentist and I have done easier root canals on wisdom teeth than this fix.

OF course there's nothing better than hooking up the wires and seeing that needle that hasn't functioned since day one finally moving. ;)

Thanks for all the other tips guys. I'm going to try that splinter removal trick here in a minute. Is the hair going to come with the splinters???

Brian.

j_martin

Admiral

Dummy. You sawzall a hole in the fiberglass big enough to sit in to do the work, then cover the hole with 15 layers of duct tape.:D

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for all the other tips guys. I'm going to try that splinter removal trick here in a minute. Is the hair going to come with the splinters???

yep!!!!

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you can get a 1/4 air ratchet for $20 if you look around... WELL worth it for jobs like this where you have absolutely no room to move.

A couple of years ago, my wife got me a small rechargeable electric ratchet. Also a good option for this sort of job, and it does not require a compressor. It does not have exceptionally high torque, but plenty foir running screws in and out. Then I can use my old fashioned ratchet to finish things up

TerryMSU

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Actually what worked best was wrapping the handle of the 1/4" ratchet with duct tape, sticky side out. Naturally before this modification the ratchet would slip out of my grip after every third pass and would fall between the tank and the bottom of the hull, leaving it 2" out of my grasp. Thank God for long-handled pliers. Oh and the duct-tape around the opening worked like a charm. No more itchy splinters.

Anyway, got the sender bolted in and it started pouring, so the tank's half in and half out now as I had to cover the boat back up. Will try to finish tomorrow but the forecast is cold rain and we have no garage here.

D

DJ

and says: "Hmmph. Why don't you line the hole with this duct tape and then you won't get full of pickers when you finish tomorrow...."

Classic!!!! I especailly like the description; "pickers".:D

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

And after all that (3 days of working on it tirelessly) the fuel gauge is STILL INOPERATIVE. <insert expletive here.> :mad::mad::mad:

I think when I jockey'd the new sender in the float is stuck up and down on the bottom....

ME = FAIL. :(

j_martin

Admiral

And after all that (3 days of working on it tirelessly) the fuel gauge is STILL INOPERATIVE. <insert expletive here.> :mad::mad::mad:

I think when I jockey'd the new sender in the float is stuck up and down on the bottom....

ME = FAIL. :(

Go back to post 7 and 8:D

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Go back to post 7 and 8:D

That won't be necessary. Apparently my hypothesis was right, and on the jouncy ride to the launch ramp it popped free and is now working. YAYY!!!

And the splinters are history.

Thanks anyway, J Martin.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

nothing like one of those simple 20 minute jobs to take 3 days and all your tools!

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's a tip I learned from the fiberglassers in the boat factory I worked in for years, AND it works great!! Oh, yeah, and don't laugh till you try it!
Get a pair of your wife's (significant other, whatever) old (they hate it if you use the new ones, and especially, if you put 'em back in the drawer!) panty hose or nylon stockings, fold them up and wipe the affilicted area in one directional strokes, (don't scrub on it like a scotchbrite pad) folding the material after each pass. You can shake out the glass, re-fold, and do it several times. While it may make some of your buddies somewhat uncomfortable if they catch you doing this, the result is nothing short of miraculous. Cold showers are for teenage boys and duct tape is against the Geneva Convention. I laugh, but I no kid!:D

Handegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just pulled my sending unit today... You made me so glad mine is in a exposed portion of the bilge... I like the duct tape idea, I'm going to use that soon...

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Best compromise between the brute force of duct tape and the overly-gentle panty-hose is one of those rotary lint-rollers with the tear-off strips to refresh the adhesive/sticky layer. When i insulated my house with f/g it was the only thing that kept me sane...:D