Towing and launching (first time owner)

arya6000

Cadet
Hello

I'm getting my first boat, I'm 19 years old and I was able to save about $1400 to buy a motor boat, I have a 97 Explorer 4.0 V6 with the stock transmission cooler and the bumper hitch. I would be towing this about 50 minutes every weekend to a close lake named "Lake Simcoe" Will my car be able to tow it without problems? and is there any online guides that shows how to put the boat on water and put it back on the trailer? And I think I can get the boat for about $1000 Is that a good deal?

Thanks

Attachments

• HP.JPG
    HP.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • HP2.JPG
    HP2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 0

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Towing and launching (first time owner)

Looks like a nice boat, mine is similar in style except made of aluminum. $1000 seems like a good deal but make sure you take a good look at the boat and check for any rot in the transom or stringers. Have you checked to make sure the engine runs? When was it last used? What kind is it? Check these things out beforehand to ensure you don't have to put a ton of money and work into the boat right after you get it. I think your explorer should tow that boat fine, is it a 4x4? Even better then.

arya6000

Cadet

Thanks for your reply

I talked to the owner and he says it runs and he said he'll put it in the lake so I can see everything working before I buy it, the engine looks old, here is the picture of it. I should have posted it earlier

Attachments

• HPIM0688.jpg
    HPIM0688.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Well you say you saved about 1400. If you can get it for a thousand, you are okay, but remember, the majority of the cost of boating is not the boat but the accessories. I bet the wiring and lighting is gonna be out of date (if even there) and that engine may need some work in the near future. Plus, you need PFDs, and boating toys, and I have never seen a boat fully equipped with what you need. Always need something that you don't notice when buying.

B.O.A.T. Bust Open Another Thousand.
Boat - n. A fiberglass hole in the water, in which the owners money is repetitively and consistently thrown into. See BROKE.

arya6000

Cadet

Well you say you saved about 1400. If you can get it for a thousand, you are okay, but remember, the majority of the cost of boating is not the boat but the accessories. I bet the wiring and lighting is gonna be out of date (if even there) and that engine may need some work in the near future. Plus, you need PFDs, and boating toys, and I have never seen a boat fully equipped with what you need. Always need something that you don't notice when buying.

B.O.A.T. Bust Open Another Thousand.
Boat - n. A fiberglass hole in the water, in which the owners money is repetitively and consistently thrown into. See BROKE.

Thanks for your reply

Can you tell me what kind of things I can expect from the engine to go wrong? and is that engine expensive to fix?

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ArYa
Looking at your trailer winch,you ought to add a safety chain and a transom strap(s). Winch ropes break and boats bounce on trailers and can bounce off. I know your boat is light but, forget the bumper hitch. Buy a real (frame mounted) hitch.
Good reading:
Trailering and Launching
another good article
no stress launching/loading
DONT FORGET THE DRAIN PLUG !!
Relax and Practice launch ettiquette...

Is it a "Deal no Deal", don't know, however, check for some obvious things, soft spots in the floor, etc. From the pic I would say you need to replace the transom board. If the boat has been neglected, it may have many hidden problems. Do a research here for floors, transom and search for your boat.
You can check boat prices on N.A.D.A
Welcome to Iboats, good people here.......

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for your reply

Can you tell me what kind of things I can expect from the engine to go wrong? and is that engine expensive to fix?
Johnson makes a good engine, as has been since the early 1900s, but even so, it is a 45 +/- year old engine. There may be nothing wrong with it, but then again, it may throw a rod the first time you use it, and require a new powerhead, or new engine. What year is it? Motors from 1962 to 1972 have elec shift which is BAAD. Too many things to go wrong, anywhere from the control box down to the lower unit. And, the solenoids, are no longer made anymore. So, if one dies, its off to find a new motor. If you notice, I have one in my sig. And, if you notice, it is nonrunning.
I would probably wait this one out if it is elec shift, and try to find a boat that has a 50s motor, or one that has a 73 and above motor. That is just too iffy, unless it is older than '62.
What is the boat gonna primarily be used for?

On a second look, the LU seems to be too small for elec shift, and may be older than '62. I need a model number to find out for sure. I am not 100% familiar with pre '70s motors.

arya6000

Cadet

Johnson makes a good engine, as has been since the early 1900s, but even so, it is a 45 +/- year old engine. There may be nothing wrong with it, but then again, it may throw a rod the first time you use it, and require a new powerhead, or new engine. What year is it? Motors from 1962 to 1972 have elec shift which is BAAD. Too many things to go wrong, anywhere from the control box down to the lower unit. And, the solenoids, are no longer made anymore. So, if one dies, its off to find a new motor. If you notice, I have one in my sig. And, if you notice, it is nonrunning.
I would probably wait this one out if it is elec shift, and try to find a boat that has a 50s motor, or one that has a 73 and above motor. That is just too iffy, unless it is older than '62.
What is the boat gonna primarily be used for?

On a second look, the LU seems to be too small for elec shift, and may be older than '62. I need a model number to find out for sure. I am not 100% familiar with pre '70s motors.

Thanks for all your help guys, this is helping me a lot, I will email the seller and ask him about the motor, but I think he went out of town tonight he will be back on Thursday, so he might not respond until he comes back, I'll post it here as soon as he responds.

tommays

Admiral

Looking at the extra plywood on the transome :eek:

I would give it good shake and tap with a mallet to check for rot

Tommays

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Looking at the extra plywood on the transome :eek:

I would give it good shake and tap with a mallet to check for rot

Tommays
That plywood looks as if it is supposed to be there, as the top cap fits over it, but it is in bad condition.
I don't know about values where you are, (I don't know where you are) but 1000 may be a bit high, and if he is advertising at 1400, he may not be willing to go any lower. I would still ask him about the engine years, but I would also be opened minded, and start looking for other boats that fit your needs. Have you checked Craigslist?

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

The top cap looks like a piece of carpet edging frm Home Depot.

klicknative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMHO I don't think you'll have any real problems pulling that boat off the bumper hitch except that the tounge will be sitting high. Put a frame hitch on it when you can. I'd be surprised if that boat and trailer was over 1500 lbs ready to go. A strap would be better on the winch but it may not accept one, mine doesn't. If you have to use rope get the best nylon one you can find. That's a manual/cable shift motor, you can see the lever on the starboard side. If it runs good and as long as you take care of it that will be a great motor. Be shure you know what year it is, Johnsons and Evinrudes 1964 and older need 24:1 fuel/oil mix. The biggest red flag is the plywood on the transom. If the actual transom is ok, it looks like a nice little boat.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

That engine is a mechanical shift(lever on side of cowl is the give away) from the early 60s, my guess is 63. It is a long shaft(20") model. It almost looks like the transom is a 15 inch, hard to tell from the angle of the picture. Check how far below the bottom of the hull the anti-ventalitaion/cavitation plate is.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

That's a manual/cable shift motor, you can see the lever on the starboard side.
Ahh. missed that. So you are saying that not all the motors from 62 - 72 were elec shift? Or am I missing something here. Learn something new everyday.

If the transom checks out (do your best to flex it. shake the motor etc.) and the motor is in good condition, just bring him down as low as you can go, cause there is no reason to spend more than you coulda, and you probably have a fun lil' rig there. Once you buy it, we can tell you quite a bit more that you need to know.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

That motor also has a fuel pump it seems from the single tube fuel line. I don't know if that motor had it standard, or if was added on later, but it is a plus.
Man, I need to pick up an older motor to familiarize myself with them a bit better.

It is almost definitely a long shaft motor. Look at the water stripe on the motor, and compare it to the stripe on the boat. It seems to come up about 4 or so inches on the boat, but is closer to 8 or 9 above the cav plate on the motor.

HondaPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you do buy it and take it out on Simcoe be sure to stick close to shore on you first few outings. That lake can blowup in no time and become very dangerous in a small boat so please check the weather reports before going out. Do not mean to alarm you as Simcoe is a beautiful lake with great fishing but it can also get very nasty very quickly. Good luck what ever you decide.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

Looks to my uneducated eye like it was converted to a long shaft at some point. Could be trouble backing down the ramp with the prop so close to ground... But like i said, im no expert. Good luck with your purchase. That transom wood will probably need replacement as mentioned above. Also look closely at tire condition on the trailer, and inspect the leaf springs for cracks. those things add up also.

arya6000

Cadet

First I'd like to thank everyone for there help, you guys have been a lot of help.

I found another boat that I'm planing to buy which looks a lot better, I'm able to afford it if I borrow some money. He is asking for $1850 I'll try to get it for $1750 Please tell me if its worth the price. I think the engine is a 85 HP Johnson and the year is 1977

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • aquarian1.JPG
    aquarian1.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • nboat11.JPG
    nboat11.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 0

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1977 johnson 85 hp and it is just plain mean. I have mine on a 550lb boat and I get 71 mph on average. Those old crossflow omc's are about as stout a motor as I have ever seen, if maintained properly. But, I would NEVER buy a used motor without so much as checking compression. At least take it for a nice long test cruise and put it through its paces. Dont buy somthing that cant stand up to how you plan to use it.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can also tell you that this boat is going to put quite the strain on your poor little explorer. I would definitely install a larger trans cooler. Make sure that all trans fluid and filter are changed also. As a man who has replaced the trannys on both of the explorers I have owned (1 twice) I strongly recommend the auxillary trans cooler.