E225pxcu Stalling@ 1400rpms

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been repairing this motor in spurts,rebuild trim/tilt,plugs,wires,fuel lines,water seperator, replaced prop and numerous other stuff on the boat.Anyways I was having stalling problem @ 1200-1600 rpms ,it would start right back up no problem. I also notice there is a vibration at these rpm so I replaced prop that wasn't it. I rebuild carbs and the floats were all over the place so I adjusted. Last trip out not as bad as before It seem right @1400 rpm it wants to bogg down I choke it, it rev right up and will bogg again.my starter took a dump so this week I'm doing that.But I still feel a vibration and want to figure this out.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: E225pxcu Stalling@ 1400rpms

Sounds like one or more carbs are clogged at 1400rpm , midrange jets.

"It seem right @1400 rpm it wants to bogg down I choke it, it rev right up and will bogg again"

If you can have someone drive the boat, pop the air cover off the carbs and trying choking each carb with 2 fingers whilst it is around 1400rpm.

Even better, try spraying mixed fuel into one carb at a time to find the one that isn't delivering at 1400.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the carbs have 3 jets, low, intermediate, and high. they have to be remove and cleaned to do the job correctly.

see TOP SECRET FILE

doing it 1/2 way gets 1/2 way results.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys ok I'll start over again ,Ill get back with this post when I'm done

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok Starters in and carb jets removed and soaked and cleaned nothing noticeable in the jets.When I removed the carb cover I did notice water came out not a lot but some.Hit the water in the a.m. I'll post my results after we get back

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well ,I'll have to start from scratch it ran and smoke horribly.I'm frustrated.time to walk away for awhile.I know nothing of this motor so I from the beginning.It all started with a vibration.the more I try to do it seems more problems

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

check compression and spark, water should not be there, could be blown gasket, or cracked block.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

suprising the compression is good 100-110 with the an old tester and 90-98 with a brand new test kit. Spark, all plugs are firing, all coils are with in the range in the book. the port side plug are all fouled out and the starboard side are burning good? I guess put fresh pluggs in and try it out. the book say to use Ql77jcu or l77jc4 for low speeds and Qul77v or ul77v which are non gappable I currently have Ql77cu should I switch?

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've been looking around and noticed that champion sells these plugs in stainless, double the price is it worth it considering I boat in saltwater.

jonesg

Admiral

Plugs need to come out 2-3 times a yr anyway for winterize and summerizing.
Theres not much chznce they can freeze in the block if we do the proper maintainance.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

new plugs no difference,I replace the inline fuel primer.it doesn't seem to get hard.The old one had a 3/8 line on one side and a 5/16 line on the other does anyone know what size it should be.I just cut the hose off @ pump and it was 5/16 didn't notice the 2 sizes till replacing

jonesg

Admiral

OK, lets start at the top and do it logically.
Look up the fuel tubing on evinrude.com , compare part numbers for the 2 sections to see if they're the same part# (size).

Its a 1987 225hp,
stalls and runs rough around 1400 but smooths out after that?
Compression is good.
It still points to midrange fuel delivery, choking under load proves it.

If you can have someone drive whilst you put 2 fingers in the carb throat you should be able to find the offending carb that way (when its bogging).
I think the vibration is one cyl shutting down at 1400, or two if the carb feeds 2 cyls.

Also check to make sure all butterfly's are fully closed at idle and 90degs at WOT, they have to be identical.

If the port plugs continue to foul try disconnecting the shift assist switch if it has one, they can get sticky.
If that doesn't correct it then try swapping coils over from the other side, if that doesn't do anything I'd start looking at the powerpack, if it has 2 swap them.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks
Evinrude.com doesn't specify which one I'll just get the bigger one

It'll stall and start rite back up.I can keep it running by choking it ,it smooths out about 1700 rpm The max rpms I'm getting now is 2100 witch isn't enough to plane it out
I will inspect and try your advise thanks for the suggestions

clanton

Rear Admiral

Has it ever ran? Alarm working? Magnets on flywheel ok? Fuel pressure?

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got this boat and motor in NOV for some work I did you know the story "It runs great no problems"First trip found out fuel gauge didn't work,then had to do carbs.
The Vro pump has been capped off but the wires are still hooked up.I dont understand that but it ran that way?
I don't know anything about magnets?
I will check fuel today if it doesn't rain
thanks

tvd

Cadet

The Vro pump has been capped off but the wires are still hooked up.I dont understand that but it ran that way?

You better be CAREFUL.....VRO capped off immediately says that you need to run 50:1 premix...just incase the PO didn't tell you....

jonesg

Admiral

Thanks
Evinrude.com doesn't specify which one I'll just get the bigger one

It'll stall and start rite back up.I can keep it running by choking it ,it smooths out about 1700 rpm The max rpms I'm getting now is 2100 witch isn't enough to plane it out
I will inspect and try your advise thanks for the suggestions

It needs going through, do compression test, spark gap test and if you don't know the actual history consider rebuilding the carbs.
I wouldn't put it in the water until the fault is uncovered.

Before my engine hit the water we went through it from top to bottom because I didn't know the service history. Did all the preventive maintainance and found the powerpack was faulty running it on a hose.
When I put it in the water it ran perfect.

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

all right hit the water today
I started by a jug of new fuel and hooked the fuel line to it ,no change
then I removed the carb cover and it no longer wanted to stall out, but it triied to manuelly choke eack carb just to check they all are flowing fuel through them fine.So i gave it throttle and off she went.problem solved. put the cover back on the carbs and the stalling and 2000 rpm again.So it took the carb cover off again put the collowling on and ran great better than ever up 5000rpms.so the problem is an air restriction of some sort .I look to see if any fuel line where getting pinched didn't see anything obvious. I'll keep checking.Has any one ever came across this and how do I fix it. I know I can't run with out the cover over the carbs.

jonesg

Admiral

Honestly?
thats a good one.!
Great that you found the problem but how to remedy it. doh.
Hopefully one of the real experts will chime in.

In the meantime you can check the link and sync and the ignition timing advance at WOT. MAke sure the butterfly's shut closed completely at idle and open 90 degs level at WOT, and they all have to be the same.