Maybe can't install smart tabs

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
:confused:
I have a Key West 1520CC with a 70 Yamaha. I've been looking at Nauticus Smart tabs. The problem is that my swim platform is in the way (it's mounted all the way to the left of the transom. There's not enough space under the swim platform, only about 6". Nauticus says I need 10". He says I can mount the tabs further inside to get past the swim platform as long as they are at least 10" from the motor. Maybe I can do this but I wonder how they will perform mounted like this. I'm thinking of going with a hydrofoil instead. Anyone ever mounted tabs like this?

Thanks,
KWB

nlain

Commander
Re: Maybe can't install smart tabs

There have been several that have had to mount more to the inboard side and they have worked fine for them. I would run the Smart Tabs any day over a hydrofoil, they are far better. I have run both so I know how each respond, Smart Tabs all the way.

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Smart Tabs all the way. They work fine mounted there.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they will work fine. far better than a foil. i only recommend foils to people i do not like.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

i only recommend foils to people i do not like.

TD, that's funny!

I haven't measured but I hope I have the 10" clear of the motor I need. We're supposed to go out in Mill Cove this Friday and maybe fish by Dames Point. Maybe if all works out I can get them on before then!

KWB

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same problem as you with my Tahoe... Mine will be around 12 inches away from center....I am hoping to get mine put on later today or tomorrow at the latest so it will be ready by this weekend... Good luck and don't forget if you plan to use it this weekend to get the epoxy sealant that cures in 24 hours and not 7 days...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Well, in the first place, what's wrong with the boat? Since its an outboard, do you have the motor set at the right height? Do you have a good cupped SS prop with the pitch that gives optimum performance?

I have a friend with that same boat and his doesn't need anything. Key West makes a good boat.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This is not about good boat or bad boat. Trim tabs can improve any V-hull; there does not have to be anything wrong ;)

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK. I think I solved my issue with the swim platform. I can mount closer to the center of the transom or use the ST (stainless) which require less mounting space in which case I could mount on the outer transom under the swim platform. :mad: The problem is that my trailer bunks will hit the tab plates regardless of where I mount them. Nauticus suggested that I cut the bunks even with the back of the transom but I really don't want to do that. I was considering a SE Sport 300 foil before the smart tabs. Maybe it's just easier to install the foil. My boat is only 15' with a Yamaha 70 so maybe it doesn't make as much difference as with a bigger boat....
:confused:

KWB

nlain

Commander

You are going to mount 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the hull, the tabs then angle down from there, unless the bunks stick out a long way you may have enough clearance.

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

They are about 1 foot past the transom....

Nauticus says there will be an issue if the bunks touch the tab plates when loading and unloading.

KWB

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

So cut the bunks, anything past the transom isn't accomplishing anything anyways.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Cut the bunks. Honestly, what about cutting the bunks is a problem? Anything but a foil!!

nlain

Commander

I'd be cutting on the bunk carpet so I could fold the sides in and the top flap over and under and take a saw to the wood. Tabs are so much better than a foil. I have had both, never again will I run a foil.

koko1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

a foot past the transom is not helping anything... I would cut and maybe leave a few inches, but there is no need for a foot of extra bunk....I got mine installed on my tahoe, only 14 inches away from center and they work well... I have read to many horror stories on foils to want to try one of those, which was originally what I was gonna do before I found out about smart tabs

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a pic of my install on my Bayliner 1950 Cuddy, and it's an '85.
The tabs are closer to the center than they are to the side walls, and
that is where I actually planned for the install. They are the 60 lb. model,
and they work great! They even stopped the slow speed side to side steering
issue of "walking" from left to right. It's gone, as I had hoped to improve upon,
and I still can't believe it after reading that the steering slop was a side
effect of an i/o.

If you put them where the hull is not straight, you will decrease the expected
water flow, and maybe need a lighter actuator. Call Nauticus to discuss.
Read the other posts, as well. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• 100_2085.JPG
    100_2085.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 0

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I just wen through this. I had to mount way inside of the "recomended" location. I called John at nauticus and discussed it with him. Even sent him some pics. The tabs, even when mounted farther inboard work great.
Best mod you can make to the boat sure

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

as others have said..... NO FOIL.... If you don't want to install tabs then leave it as is.... I have thrown 3 or 4 foils in the garbage... Cut the bunks.... It is sooooooooo easy... split the carpet... saw them off flush with the rear of the boat and staple.... OR maybe you can move the bunks forward on the trailer.