Minn Kota Power Drive Trolling Motor Problems

PAF3511

Cadet
I have a Minn Kota Power Drive 40 bow mounted trolling motor. The foot control burnt out last month and I ordered another foot control. The steering motor connection worked fine, but the prop would not turn. Then I noticed some smoke coming from the foot control. It was the contact for the forward thrust. Again, it burnt out and I am left scratching my head.
I am thinking there has been a short in the Control Board Assembly and I need to replace it.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Minn Kota Power Drive Trolling Motor Problems

The foot control and main board usually need to be replaced at the same time (one takes out the other), might as well buy a new one for the money your going to invest in an old trolling motor.

PAF3511

Cadet

Thanks. I figured when the control board short circuited on the footpedal it probably wiped out the trolling control board. Just wanted to check since I can't return the control board after I order it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a lot of "maybe's". You have done zero diagnosing and are replacing parts without knowing what caused the issue. Did it occur to you defective wiring in the coil cord such as broken and frayed insulation may be causeing the issue? These motors have lots of places where wires twist and stretch. You need to very carefully examine stress points to make sure that's not the problem. You may also find the control board in the motor is not cheap. Find out what's wrong before just throwing parts a problem.

PAF3511

Cadet

Turns out it was the control board assembly. Replaced it and now everything runs great.