Which model rules iboats?

Which model rules iboats?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: Which model rules iboats?

wow, surprised to see jupiter in the minority...

trucktramp

Cadet

Here's a vote for an Islander. Mine's a 1975 22 footer. Bought it last fall just before winter. Haven't had it wet yet(but that will change soon). She's a plain jane fishing machine, rigged for the Great Lakes.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey SS'rs..Looky who's closing in fast off starboard!
The Holiday's are coming..lol..
Everybody says "Are you ready for the Holiday's?"
Well, are ya punk?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

The upscale Holiday crowd with their button down oxford pinstripes and brown penny loafers (complete with penny inserted) don't worry me at all Kev. I like you guys, please pass the Poupon Mustard, please.:D

The SS crowd is a scary bunch now:(. Brandishing off brand beers, Pabst, Strohs, Old Milwaukee, often in 40 ounce size:eek:. Blaring Bocephus, Led Zeppelin, but never Abba. This rough and tumble crowd will always make a wake in a no wake zone due to their devil may care attitude. A worrisome bunch indeed.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Wife: Honey, who are those bodacious people over there making all that un Godly commotion?

Husband: Oh Dear, nevermind them, we won't even agknowledge them as we motor past..Right Love?

Wife: Quite right, you always know how to handle such matters Theodore..

Husband: It's all in the genes, my love, Father was quite right, you know..

Wife: It does appear that they are having a good time however......

Husband: THAT? a good time, now now love, I think you have been in the sun too long, you are beginng to be absurb..

Wife: Really...Absurb am I?? Bring this boat about..I demand it

Husband: Honey, I was just...

Wife: I SAID ABOUT THEODORE!!!

Husband: Ok Ok yes my love but why?

Wife: WoooooooHooooooo so long LOSER!!!! I'm gonna go shake my trust fund maker with these people, do not stay up for me..that would be..umm ABSURB!

lol

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wife: Honey, who are those bodacious people over there making all that un Godly commotion?

Husband: Oh Dear, nevermind them, we won't even agknowledge them as we motor past..Right Love?

Wife: Quite right, you always know how to handle such matters Theodore..

Husband: It's all in the genes, my love, Father was quite right, you know..

Wife: It does appear that they are having a good time however......

Husband: THAT? a good time, now now love, I think you have been in the sun too long, you are beginng to be absurb..

Wife: Really...Absurb am I?? Bring this boat about..I demand it

Husband: Honey, I was just...

Wife: I SAID ABOUT THEODORE!!!

Husband: Ok Ok yes my love but why?

Wife: WoooooooHooooooo so long LOSER!!!! I'm gonna go shake my trust fund maker with these people, do not stay up for me..that would be..umm ABSURB!

lol

I think somebody needs to check on Kev. Maybe he left a can of Gluvit open. Open a window and let some fresh air in.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

sunstroke! foolin with this trailer in 90 degree heat out here..you guys and your snow are lucky;)

nosnahoj

Recruit

Hey all - great forum going here. Just bought a 16 foot '68 Starcraft Super Sport. It has an original equipment 100 hp :eek: V4 Johnson (original, as in the original owner decided the max 80 hp rating wasn't hot enough for a 16 footer) The motor needs a new electrical harness and water pump. Too much motor really, but... we'll see how the thing goes. Bought it for the hull, which I totally dig. The supersport layout with the open cockpit with seats up front is perfect for me.

The color I think is very dark green which seems to have turned mostly dark grey (very evenly, thankfully, so it still looks great). Anyone else have a pic of this color hull?

Attachments

• 1968 starcraft super sport runabout.jpg
    1968 starcraft super sport runabout.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 0

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey all - great forum going here. Just bought a 16 foot '68 Starcraft Super Sport. It has an original equipment 100 hp :eek: V4 Johnson (original, as in the original owner decided the max 80 hp rating wasn't hot enough for a 16 footer) The motor needs a new electrical harness and water pump. Too much motor really, but... we'll see how the thing goes. Bought it for the hull, which I totally dig. The supersport layout with the open cockpit with seats up front is perfect for me.

The color I think is very dark green which seems to have turned mostly dark grey (very evenly, thankfully, so it still looks great). Anyone else have a pic of this color hull?

Welcome Aboard!
Look at the SC brochures that is posted at the main page of this forum.
Another freeeking SS huh? ##**&&!!@@@%%% it..lol

Nice boat! Tin is sooo in!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Way to go Nosnahoj !!!!:D
Take every vote for SS we can get...gotta keep us way out in the lead..
How fast will your boat go, according to GPS???
Love to see more pics of your boat...keep them coming...don't tease
us with just one!!!:eek:

Todd Gerber

Seaman

I'm surprised at how few 'glass boats have been selected...

nosnahoj

Recruit

Way to go Nosnahoj !!!!:D
Take every vote for SS we can get...gotta keep us way out in the lead..
How fast will your boat go, according to GPS???
Love to see more pics of your boat...keep them coming...don't tease
us with just one!!!:eek:

Just bought it Tuesday so I haven't even had it in the water yet :D

Previous owner claimed 34, GPS. Although the motor looks cherry and starts right up, upon getting it home I discovered some severely corroded motor wiring and it doesn't spit water, not good. From the get-go I didn't care too much about the motor, but am disappointed I can't plop n' play. My mech says at least $500 to fix, maybe more.. eesh. The motor smokes like the devil. Great blue clouds wafting.. Not really inspired to fix it.

Call me crazy for wanting to put a new motor in a 42 year old boat but I'm thinking about a 60 etec. I like the hull, it's in pristine condition, and that's a heck of a lot cheaper package than a new aluminum boat. And I love the "vintage" style.

I'll post some more pix tomorrow if I can find my camera charger.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

nosnahoj, I wouldn't put much money into that old electric shift motor either. An E-tec would be awesome. However any 3 cyl or V4 Johnson/Evinrudes from about '78 on up are great motors as well.

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Call me crazy for wanting to put a new motor in a 42 year old boat but I'm thinking about a 60 etec.

I wouldn't call you crazy at all. I got my '72 SS for $500 and sold the motor and t&t for $600. Then I got a 2000my(new in 2001) Yamaha F50 for $3k. So really, I spent $3000 on a motor for an essentially "worthless" hull. I spent the money not to worry when I am in the middle of the lake about shutting off the motor.
And before I start a firestorm, I'm playing the odds. I KNOW there are some good old motors out there that always start, I had one(a 70 Merc 650 that started the INSTANT you hit the key). And I know new motors aren't 100% either, that's why I always have 2 trolling batteries and a cranking battery, just in case. But for the most part, IMO, new(or newer) motors are less likely to fail.

nosnahoj

Recruit

I wouldn't call you crazy at all. I got my '72 SS for $500 and sold the motor and t&t for $600. Then I got a 2000my(new in 2001) Yamaha F50 for $3k. So really, I spent $3000 on a motor for an essentially "worthless" hull. I spent the money not to worry when I am in the middle of the lake about shutting off the motor.
And before I start a firestorm, I'm playing the odds. I KNOW there are some good old motors out there that always start, I had one(a 70 Merc 650 that started the INSTANT you hit the key). And I know new motors aren't 100% either, that's why I always have 2 trolling batteries and a cranking battery, just in case. But for the most part, IMO, new(or newer) motors are less likely to fail.

I'm with ya there. Even a new motor can fail. I've got a 2 hp honda I can put on as a get-me-home. My family has a history of putting new motors on ancient watercraft. Started with a '55 Lyman with a 25 Honda, then a '59 Lyman with a 40 Honda. Wood boats, really cool style. Turned heads everywhere they went yet all the advantages of a quiet clean modern motor.

My father has the 2nd Lyman for sale, just thought I'd put that out there. Hull only, transom needs some work.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This poll leaves out the Sportsman CC and the Mariner?
I've always wanted an earlier Mariner in the 16' model. The lack of a splashwell looks like it would have a lot of room onboard compared to the other models. I like the pic of the one in the 1967 catalog. It just looks like a great boat for crabbing and even for river and back bay fishing.

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

Well, once I know what I have I will add to the post and help MY side win, of course. I am posting some more pics today, have to use better camera to get the pics that will clench the design. I am definitely lookin forward to working this baby into use. Making a dolly/floor trailer (don't know what else to call it) to move it into garage so I can work on it and get it out of the weather.
Jim

nukid68

Seaman Apprentice

well, used different camera, lets hope the pics work.
Jim

Attachments

• project 2.jpg
    project 2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
  • project 3.jpg
    project 3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0
  • project 4.jpg
    project 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • project 5.jpg