Beginning my maxum repairs

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading, and seeing finished products, I think that it is about time I start my projects (1990 Maxum and a 78 Glastron 21 ft). With all the confidence I have I would still like some help. I will be posting pictures, but would like it to be displayed without having to click on the photobucket link. How can I do this?
I would also like to know if I should glass both sides of the deck.
Where can I purchase the 2"thick pink or blue styrofoam?
I would be using carpet in my Glastron (for cruising), but will be coating the deck of the Maxum (for fishing)

Standby for pics as soon as I can figure out the format without linkage.
Above all I would like to thank this site for all the information and help that will make my courage a success.
My time line is one month for both. Yes I'll be taking some vacation and spend all of it on these projects.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/omeidea47/5.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/omeidea47/IMG_7813.jpg

avimgod

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Beginning my maxum repairs

After reading, and seeing finished products, I think that it is about time I start my projects (1990 Maxum and a 78 Glastron 21 ft). With all the confidence I have I would still like some help. I will be posting pictures, but would like it to be displayed without having to click on the photobucket link. How can I do this?
I would also like to know if I should glass both sides of the deck.
Where can I purchase the 2"thick pink or blue styrofoam?
I would be using carpet in my Glastron (for cruising), but will be coating the deck of the Maxum (for fishing)

Standby for pics as soon as I can figure out the format without linkage.
Above all I would like to thank this site for all the information and help that will make my courage a success.
My time line is one month for both. Yes I'll be taking some vacation and spend all of it on these projects.

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/omeidea47/5.jpg

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/omeidea47/IMG_7813.jpg

Using the botom link from photobucket will display them, or put
after the link... I did it above for you...

Pink foam can be had from Home Depot or Lowes... look for it by the fiberglass insulation as it is just closed cell foam insulation...

I plan to glass both sides to keep them from rotting from the bottom up, your results may vary...

Loos like you have your hands full, but should be having some fun...

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IMG_7873.jpg

The biggest challenge was to get the seat foundation out. Then after removingthe foundation and foam there was a layer of plastic.
The foam was completely dry, but some moisture (sweating under the plactic. Do you yhink the plactic prevented the water from getting to the foam?

[imghttp://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp177/omeidea47/IMG_7885.jpg[/img]

IMG_7884.jpg

Between the deck and fuel tank there was no support (2" between tank and deck.

IMG_7881.jpg

Underside of deck over fuel tank was still dry, but there was a sag or indentation on the upper side of the deck

IMG_7885-1.jpg

stringers are solid no rot or signs of rot

For this boat, the engine has been top to bottom rebuilt and all upholstery completely redone. I am hoping to have this ready in a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Edit your pictures down to 480x640, or your going to find yourself quite Lonely around here....

Nobody will put up with this side-scrolling...

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do not know what went wrong, but they were edited to that specs.:confused:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I do not know what went wrong, but they were edited to that specs.:confused:

Maybe they were cached. Anyway, it does look like you have them correctly sized on Photobucket. I edited your post and put them back in-line.

Good luck with your project.

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some discovery since my last post. This is on my Glastron. As I examined the deck here is what I found. I thought this was the stringer, but it appears to be a foundation for the floor. It is about 12" from the hull and fastened as a stringer except it is about 1 and 3/4 wide at the top. After cutting to see the condition, I found that this is just a cap.
stringer.jpg

I found that the deck was very solid.
soliddeck.jpg

I then cut out a piece of the deck to be sure that it is solid, and this is what I found.
deck.jpg

The cut was made at the worse section of the deck and nearest to the transom.
the underside was not glassed, but showed no signs of rot.
Do I replace the deck???:confused:

This is what the deck looked (1978 glastron Adventura 210).

1A.gif

The question is: Should I still remove the deck?

Last edited:

wallybme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1990 Maxum & 1978 Glastron Restore

Re: 1990 Maxum & 1978 Glastron Restore

Need some ideas