Cant get fuel to motor HELP!!!!!!

rubaggd

Cadet
Have a 1979 SRV220 with a 228 Mercruiser. Hasnt been run in over 4-5 years. I have changed the oil in the outdrive, changed the plugs, distributor cap, points, condenser, starter power cable, pumped the old fuel out (27 gallons), fixed the alternator power wire, replaced fuel filter, and replaced the mechanical fuel pump with a mechanical fuel pump for a small block chevy motor (alot cheaper than a marine fuel pump, alot cheaper).

The motor will run for a few seconds with gas or starter fluid put into the top of the carb. It has a Holley 4 barrel.

I have taken the fuel line off from the carb and turned the motor over and got no gas from out of the line.

I even put 12 gallons of fuel in the gas tank. I had 5 in it but it wasnt enough for the fuel pump to pick up.

I am not getting any fuel to the carb. Can anyone please tell me why?

I am not the smartest person when it comes to motors.

Please help me

Thanks in advance

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Cant get fuel to motor HELP!!!!!!

Get that dammmm Auto fuel pump off of there!!!!:eek:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Probably Crud in the tank or the lines...

That fuel pump you put on it is a Bomb,+ I ain't so sure about the Carb...
Merc. NEVER used a Holley on that motor...

Rubggd, if you take ANY advise on here... Please take the advice from Bond-o and Kev.. Get that automotive fuel pump off!! The engine compartment on boats are NOT ventilated like under the hood of your Chevy. Fuel vapors build up much easier. Few automotive parts can be used in a marine application for that very reason! Never..NEVER use an automotive alternator or starter either! Spend the extra cash on the marine versions and be safe!

Personally, I aint much of a fan of Holley carbs..(aside from a few) no matter what you put them on.
I would be willing to bet you are picking up a lot of debris out of your fuel tank. Older gas can turn into a sticky varnish as well, gumming up the fuel system. I always use a fuel stabilizer on anything stored over the winter or for long periods of time. I also installed a glass fuel filter with the replaceable element on my boat, if you have anything in the fuel, you can see it right away.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree....PLEASE do not use an auto pump..
Get the money back and buy a marine pump.

They sell them right here at Iboats, Napa should have them or ebasicpower.com here in NC sells them.

Sounds like the fuel pickup in the tank or the anti-siphon valve is plugged.
Or the auto pump was not installed correct.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

After you install a marine fuel pump, if it still doesn't run, hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard gas tank works great) up to the fuel pump and use the primer bulb to prime the carb and fuel pump and see if it will then run.

rubaggd

Cadet

Got it running.

Can someone explain to me better reference the auto fuel pump please? I am new to this and dont understand. Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Bondo

Staff member

Can someone explain to me better reference the auto fuel pump please? I am new to this and dont understand.

Ayuh,.. You understand that a diaphram pump needs to be vented, Right...

Well,.. An automotive pump is vented to the atmosphere,+ if it Leaks,..
The lost gas hits the road,... No harm, No foul...

On a Marine motor,...
There's a Bilge, Not just the road for it to spill in/on...
So,... It's vented directly up to the throat of the carb, where it'll be burnt, rather than into the bilge, where it'll Explode....

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you are asking why the auto pump is dangerous, when the diaphragm breaks, (it will eventually), the fuel will spill on the floor of your boat. In a car it would land on the ground of an open engine compartment. Since a boat floats, the engine compartment is sealed from below and covered from above. One spark from a worn plug wire, alternator, switch etc would blow the boat to pieces, along with everyone onboard. Google some boat explosions. On a marine pump, there is a separate fuel line that runs to the flame arrestor or carb, and if the diaphragm breaks, it dumps the fuel into the intake to be burned, not spilled into the bilge where it will collect. the Starter, alternator, fuel lines and tank configuration are US coast guard regulated for your safety. Do not use automotive parts in place of marine rated parts. Your insurance company will inspect after an explosion/accident as well and will deny any claims if these marine parts were substituted with automotive. Law enforcement may well be interested too if someone gets hurt.

rubaggd

Cadet

Ok, I understand now. Thanks everybody for your help. I guess for the time being I will use the fuel pump for now while I have the engine cover off while I make sure the motor is tuned ok. I will be purchasing a marine fuel pump for it to replace.

Anybody have a fuel pump for a 228 Mercruiser? The number on the pump says 41421.

So that would explain why the marine fuel pump is bolted together..................... and the Auto fuel pump isnt......... It makes sense.

Can I add an electric fuel pump instead of a mechanical one? Or could that cause the same problem?

Does anyone know the CFM for a Holley 4 barrel carb? My uncle bought it from summit and it is a marine holley, he says its the smaller one. He thinks it is 600 CFM but isnt sure. I have to buy a carb kit for it and want to get the correct one.

..Holley makes many different sizes of 4 bbl carbs. As I stated before, I am not a huge Holley fan. They are prone to fuel leaks. Not to say that all Holley carbs are bad. It just wouldn't be my first choice for a boat. Again, most likely, the carb you have was designed to be in an automotive application. You may want to seek further advice on that one. You can take the number off the carb into a NAPA store and they can tell you what carb you have and get you the correct rebuild kit.
As far as going to a electric fuel pump.. Can I ask why? If a mechanical pump works why change it? I am not the boat expert as much of the folks are on here, but again..in my opinion, it's just an unnecessary drain on the battery and as I have learned about boats.. If it works, leave it alone!

Oops.. It may help if I learned to read! ..My bad!

I just reread your post and noticed you mentioned your carb IS a marine carb from Summit Racing.. I have dealt with Summit racing on many occasions. Most of the folks there seem to be quite knowledgeable. You can call their customer service/ sales line. Give them the number off the carb. If memory serves me correctly, the number will start with the letter "R". No doubt they could assist you in identifying your carb CFM and get you the correct rebuild or "renew" kit. Chances are your carb is a 600 CFM it is the most common size, however there are several variants. They also make a 650, 700 & 750 CFM marine carb.

rubaggd

Cadet

Thanks thrillsea-ker....... I appreciate your help