Repair or replace transom

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I drilled some holes in my transom, and shavings are wet. I will be taking the cap off this week, but in regards to transom, given that wood is not rotten, just wet do I just cut the inner skin on transom, let it dry, glass over it and add one more layer and glass over it again. Or is it better to just take everything out and rebuild it completely.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Repair or replace transom

I drilled some holes in my transom, and shavings are wet. I will be taking the cap off this week, but in regards to transom, given that wood is not rotten, just wet do I just cut the inner skin on transom, let it dry, glass over it and add one more layer and glass over it again. Or is it better to just take everything out and rebuild it completely.

If it is wet, good chance the rot has started, at which point you'll won't be able to stop. always best to replace if possible.

T

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Repair or replace transom

Even if you remove the inner skin it won't really dry out all the way... unless you're planning on leaving it off for several months (at least).

Also, removing and replacing the inner skin means you're halfway to replacing the transom anyway... I'd go ahead and do it right so you don't have to wonder how far the rot has gone.

Erik