help reading charts

phil11

Cadet
new boater...bought Chaparral 215ssi in November and can't wait to get out for the first time. I'd like to better understand how to read the charts, especially for Chesapeake Bay. Does anybody know of an on-line course, or a good reference book that I can study? I've got a GPS, but I don't want to be the dunce of the Bay, and in general, I like to be as educated as possible. Thanks.

dumy1

Cadet
Re: help reading charts

Suggest you sign up for either a US Power Squadron or a USCG course. No personal experience with the Coast Guard courses but I can vouch for the Power Squadron ones. They are excelent & will add saftey and enjoyment to your boating times.
Good luck.
Ron

phil11

Cadet

thanks for the help...that looks like a good article. i'm going to see if i can google up part 2.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Suggest you sign up for either a US Power Squadron or a USCG course. No personal experience with the Coast Guard courses but I can vouch for the Power Squadron ones. They are excelent & will add saftey and enjoyment to your boating times.
Good luck.
Ron

+1

It isn't that hard to learn, but it definitely helps to have someone show you how. Another thing to remember is that the chart is oriented to "true" North, and you need to compensate for local magnetic variation when plotting. In my area that's 14 deg. west. The compass rose on your chart has that info listed. There's also compass deviation, which is introduced by yout specific boat and the equipment on it, and can vary depending on your direction.

For all intents and purposes, if you're boating within sight of land some of this becomes academic, but I wanted to demonstrate that a teacher is a great help. You'll get a taste of charting in a Power Squadron boating course, along with a hundred other things you should know.

ziggy

Admiral

Good luck.
+2

i did the power sqadron too. the course was very good and most educational.

ya might pick up a copy of chapmans seamanship and boat handling too. there's some pretty good info in there about charts too.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

In what part of the Bay will you be hangin'?
Go ahead and take the basic USPS or USCGA class, then I HIGHLY recommend you also get into a Navigation class.
It's there that you'll learn how to read a chart, plot a course and understand all those marks on a chart. It's definitely more intense than the basic safety class, but IMO there's nothing better than learning the right way- from an instructor with years of experience.
There will be some math involved but nothing a 9th grader couldn't do.

Here's the USCGA website listing Nav classes. You need to determine which one suits you best.
http://nws.cgaux.org/visitors/pe_visitor/index.html

Good luck!

phil11

Cadet

arks,

Thanx for the info. I'll look into it. I'll be based at my buddy's house on Galloway Creek (Middle River) and will spend most of my time in the Upper Bay. We like HdG by car, so we're looking forward to boating there. May get adventurous and take a trip south later in the year, after we get comfortable with the boat and our ability to handle it. The Mrs. would like Balto, Annap, St Michaels, etc. But for now, we'll stick probably stay closer to home base. Right now boat is still at dealer. Weather permitting, Apr 8 is THE DAY!

We might like to hook up with you when the in-laws visit from CT. Dad-in-law has 34 Silverton. I'm sure he'd like to swap stories.

phil11

Cadet

i just took a minute to look at that USCG site...the closest course posted is in Ocean City NJ, on June 5. Nothing yet listed in So. PA or MD. I'll keep an eye on it. I'd love the company, so if I see anything of interest, I'll let you know. Please do likewise.

Thanks!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

You guys won't be disappointed if/when you find a class. I took Coastal Navagation maybe 15 years ago. My USCGA instructor was kinda boring but I did learn a lot.
Maybe the Power Squadron has something closer.
Look here: http://www.usps.org/

JoLin

Vice Admiral

i just took a minute to look at that USCG site...the closest course posted is in Ocean City NJ, on June 5. Nothing yet listed in So. PA or MD. I'll keep an eye on it. I'd love the company, so if I see anything of interest, I'll let you know. Please do likewise.

Thanks!

Take a look at the US Power Squadron, too. USPS.org

(we're better :D )