Should I be worried about this transom?

jamesejam

Cadet
This is my first boat; I bought it 3 days ago. I took it out on the lake and all went well, but I sometimes would hear a slight thud/clunk when I'd gas it. When it's sitting in the garage, I've noticed the transom is flexing a bit under the weight of the motor. Also, the wood is definitely old but I'm not sure if it needs replacing...any advice? Ideas?

Attachments

• SDC16080.jpg
    SDC16080.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16081.jpg
    SDC16081.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16083.jpg
    SDC16083.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16084.jpg
    SDC16084.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16085.jpg
    SDC16085.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0

jamesejam

Cadet
Re: Should I be worried about this transom?

Here are some more pics...

Attachments

• SDC16077.jpg
    SDC16077.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16079.jpg
    SDC16079.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16082.jpg
    SDC16082.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16087.jpg
    SDC16087.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC16088.jpg
    SDC16088.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0

jamesejam

Cadet

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the boat is a 1979 12' Sea Nymph with a 1981 Johnson 2-stroke 9.9hp.

Attachments

• SDC16089.jpg
    SDC16089.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 0

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

looks like a smaller boat, it wouldn't be hard to do a new transom and do it right sealing the wood. it looks like the clamps are starting to push through!
i'm not sure if putting a sheet of alum between the clamps and new transom is advisible but i'ld look into it

jamesejam

Cadet

Thanks for the advice...I'd like to replace that wood and hopefully that will stop the transom from flexing and hopefully straighten it out a bit. Hopefully the aluminum isn't too ruined, because I'm not comfortable doing metal work. I've read on here to use "marine grade plywood" and seal it with epoxy or something...can I just buy this stuff at Home Depot or Lowe's? Is there any trick to it or is it pretty straight forward? Also, can I just unbolt the 9.9hp motor and lean it up against the corner in the garage on top of a towel/pillow/rags, or do I need to hang it on something to prevent unforeseen damage?

jspano

you could probably set it prop up and set it on it's clamp i have my 115 like that
you can use the best exterior ply @ the big box stores. laminate and seal poly resin would probably do the job

DON'T USE PRESSURE TREATED WITH ALUM BOATS

dwco5051

Commander

I just replace the plywood with regular pressure treated plywood. The last one I put on about 8 years ago and it still looks good. From the pictures it looks like the bolts are badly rusted. Spend a few extra bucks when you replace them and use stainless steel bolts. All wood will eventually shrink and after one or two seasons rusted bolts can't be tightened up. The noise you hear might just be from the fact your bolts are not as tight as when they were installed.

Lay the motor down or hang in up. Any thing with breakable parts left leaning in a corner will sooner or later fall or be knocked over ;)

i just replaced the wood on my 1974 starcraft it was pretty easy to do ,i used 3/4 red oak plywood and cut both pieces at one time ,total time was about 3 hours with no special tools but we did have to replace some of the bolts because they broke off when i tried to remove them,i was 2 pieces together about inch and half thick

jspano

up

nice job that should give him something to go for

jamesejam

Cadet

I just got the wood off, and man is it rotten! It's the original wood from when the boat was brand new in 1979. I had to grind off every single bolt because they were all rusted and the wood was so rotten that the nuts would just spin and chew through the wood. Luckily the aluminum is still in pretty good shape. Hey dwco5051 - I just read in a few places online that pressure-treated wood supposedly corrodes aluminum quickly...how is it holding up on your boat?

Attachments

• boat minus transom wood.jpg
    boat minus transom wood.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rear transom wood.jpg
    rear transom wood.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rotten wood1.jpg
    rotten wood1.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 0
  • rotten wood2.jpg
    rotten wood2.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0

jamesejam

Cadet

By the way, underpressure, your new transom looks great. I hope mine turns out like yours!

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont need to spend xtra money on pt plywood, by ac or bc/x plywood coat w poly(at least) resin all 6 sides and replace as necess,
this size boat would but a gal of resin coat generously with resin 6 sides and replace to seal as much as poss.
D

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe even 1 layer csm

jamesejam

Cadet

Went to Lowe's today...got some 3/4" oak plywood and used the old transom as a template for the new one. I cut 2 pieces and Gorilla-Wood-Glued them together so it's 1 1/2" inches thick like the original piece. Also cut a rectangular rear transom piece, just like the original one on the boat. Once the glue dries, I'll use Cabot's Australian Timber Oil to seal the wood, then it'll sit for a day or so to dry. Since the boat will be in the garage when it's not in the lake, I'm hoping the timber oil will help the wood hold up for at least a few years...anyone have experience with Cabot's?

MTribe08

Went to Lowe's today...got some 3/4" oak plywood and used the old transom as a template for the new one. I cut 2 pieces and Gorilla-Wood-Glued them together so it's 1 1/2" inches thick like the original piece. Also cut a rectangular rear transom piece, just like the original one on the boat. Once the glue dries, I'll use Cabot's Australian Timber Oil to seal the wood, then it'll sit for a day or so to dry. Since the boat will be in the garage when it's not in the lake, I'm hoping the timber oil will help the wood hold up for at least a few years...anyone have experience with Cabot's?

Why not put some Resin and Glass around it?

jamesejam

Cadet

Thanks for the advice...I think I will go to West Marine and get some resin to coat it. Shoulda thought of that before going to Lowe's. I'm not gonna mess with any fiberglass since it's an aluminum boat and there's no fiberglass on it yet...unless someone knows something I don't know...

brailediver

Cadet

You probably should not encapsulate it with resin as it will eventually crack & let water in. The resin will hold the water in against the plywood resulting in de-lamination of the plywood.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

byy ac or bc/x plywood coat w poly(at least) resin all 6 sides and replace as necess,
this size boat would but a gal of resin coat generously with resin 6 sides and replace to seal as much as poss.
D

Do not coat with just poly resin. Poly resin has little strength on it's own. It must be used with glass of some sort. Epoxy resin, however, can be used alone. You'll need to paint it though as it doesn't like UV.