1986 Grady White offshore 24 refreshing

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice
I purchased a 24 foot Grady white last September (09). It was in good structural shape and the engine ran great but the old man that owned it did not care to clean the boat or make it look good at all.
Here is a pic of what I started with:
boat.bmp

Its not a great pic, but trust me, its dirty!

When I was going over the boat I made the mistake of stepping on the steering ram, It was the stock steering system that came with the boat. I damaged it creating a small leak which caused my steering to stop responding. I replaced the entire steering system with a sea star system, I lucked out and found one on Craig?s list NEW in the box for ? the original price! (I will take pics when the snow melts) This system is impossible to step on because it mounts directly in front of the engine and not to the side.
After I fixed the steering I power washed the entire boat. Some people may say that you don?t want to do that to gel coat but it was 100% necessary. This boat had not been cleaned in at least 6 years.

The graphics and lines on the boat were rather beat up and faded. So I took them off. I did this over the winter with a hair dryer and a spackle knife to lift the edge. Then I just peeled them slowly off keeping them warm as I did so. Without the hairdryer the vinyl would snap from being cold.
no lable.jpg

Also note the extreme chalkiness of the gel coat on the sides of the boat. This may concern some people, but I knew that Grady White boats are made of the best materials. So I borrowed my brother?s buffing wheel and compounded the sides with 3m super duty compounding paste. This got rid of the entire chalky gel coat and brought back the shine. See the before and after.

Before:
starboard.jpg

After:
port.jpg

Since the side was clean I cut a new Grady Logo with my vinyl cutter that I purchased from US cutter. I purchased the cutter specifically for recreating all the logos and stripes for my boat. They also sold a vinyl that is almost 100% the same as Grady White?s blue.
I was excited to use my cutter and here is the outcome of the cut. It?s the first of many logos and stripes to go back on the boat.

new lable.jpg

I also have already stripped the bottom paint off the boat. I wanted to do so because I just needed to see the bottom to inspect for cracks and such.
The bottom actually turned out fine. There was a few dings and nicks most likely from trailering. Nothing to be worried about? But what else did I really expect from a Grady.
bottom.jpg

The plan with the bottom is the following:
Step one:
Barrier coat (white)
Step two:
Hard bottom paint (black)
Step Three:
Micro CSC multi season bottom paint (blue)
Some people say you don?t need the barrier coat because fiberglass is waterproof, but I figured with all the small nicks and dings it would be good. Last thing I ever need is soft spots in the hull.
The idea behind the black under the blue is so I know when the Blue is warn away and I only need to touch up the bottom. Not fully repaint.

More to come, Once the bottom is painted and back on the trailer, the work topside will start.

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Grady White offshore 24 refreshing

One more plan I have is to add a lifting rake to the bottom.

the 225 johnson pushes the boat pretty good, however the boat is made for twin 200 HP engines. Being that I don't have the cash to put another engine on, I want to add the rake to help get more of the boat out of the water. Less boat in the water = less drag = more speed = more MPG.

Here is where I plan on adding the rake.
new rake.jpg

What do you think? Am I crazy?

jonesg

Admiral

You need to open a photobucket account,
load your pics there and resize them,
its very difficult to read this,
like trying to read a newspape thru a pinhole.

.... very good boats, my neighbor just bought one like yours.

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

You need to open a photobucket account,
load your pics there and resize them,
its very difficult to read this,
like trying to read a newspape thru a pinhole.

.... very good boats, my neighbor just bought one like yours.

Yeah they were a little large, how are they now?

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

I went out this morning to finish buffing a few spots that needed it. Decided to cut my name for the boat with my new vinyl cutter from UScutter. My brother helped me get it on and it looks great! It?s named after my Husky, her name is Oreon and she loves to howl when a fish comes onboard. Hence the name.
HOWLER.jpg

Just gotta re-do the stripes and this side is done.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Love that boat! My Uncle had an Allman 23 footer in the 70's 80;s similar to that..Fishin Machine!

jonesg

Admiral

Much better on the pic sizing.!

Looks good, I would think about better support before crawling under there though. At least for the bow area, an engine hoist on the bow hook ...anything. Even a stack of tires as safety backup.

I used cinder blocks too but I left the trailer partly under the bow just in case.... ya know.
I use plywood pads between blocks to spread the loads a bit.

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

All the boat yards around here block up the boats this size the same way. Every boat I ever had with the exception of a wooden boat have been blocked the same way. I actually have seen a car back into the bow of a boat blocked this way and it never moved. But I hear ya. Safety first...

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hi there beautiful boat and is looking great, those logos look nice, keep the pics coming.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat. Those Gradys are absolutely classic.

erikgreen

Captain

All the boat yards around here block up the boats this size the same way. Every boat I ever had with the exception of a wooden boat have been blocked the same way. I actually have seen a car back into the bow of a boat blocked this way and it never moved. But I hear ya. Safety first...

Yeah.. the problem I see isn't with the way the supports are set up, it's with the cinder blocks. They're designed to resist compression when force is applied evenly across the whole block's edge.. even force is assured by the fact the blocks are mortared to each other, any edge uneven spots are levelled by the mortar.

When you use them like this to hold up a boat, there's a chance the blocks could be sitting not on the whole edge but instead on just one side, or part of the web, etc.

The other problem is the failure mode... cinder blocks don't crack like rock, if part of one wall gives way the whole block crumbles, and usually that happening and the boat dropping on the other blocks crumbles them too (momentum). If you turn the block sideways it's weak too, since it's meant to take force on the "end".. the sides aren't very thick.

Anyway, short version... don't use cinder blocks like this, or at all to stack up under a boat. Use wood planks or or metal stands, or in a pinch solid cement blocks set flat on each other.

It might work well regardless, but all it takes is one bad day to ruin your life..

Erik

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

It might work well regardless, but all it takes is one bad day to ruin your life..

Erik

I will get myself some metal stands... in the mean time some large wood as a backup...

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, thats a nice looking boat... plenty of room to move around. Just out of curiosity, how did you get it up on to the blocks?

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

First I positioned the boat where I wanted it.
Next, I took the trailer off the truck.
Lowered the tong as low as the jack on the trailer would allow.
Next I put the back blocks in place with the wood.
Used the tong jack to lift the front of the boat up and the back of the boat rests on the blocks.
Than I use a 6 ton jack to lift the front of the boat off the trailer and I rest it on some blocks.
I jockey the blocks and jack slowly removing the trailer, passing one cross section at a time. Till it?s off?

You have to be rather careful when doing this. Pay attention to the jack moving the boat from side to side. If you rack it too far you can knock it off the rear blocks. And damage just about everything. Possibly killing yourself? So? I would not recommend it to anyone. But it can be done.. Its important to have a heavy duty jack with good footing.

I will take pics of how it goes back on the trailer.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

I knew there was a trick.... sounds like it took some finesse

jonesg

Admiral

I tripped over a new block, it was standing vertical, it broke just from falling flat. And I've used the same block under my boat.:eek:

What are you planning to build on the Grady, as the outside looked the way it did, have to wonder about the bilge pump situation and water pump in the outboard.

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

Well the old man kept the boat working mechanically perfect. Whatever the engine needed it got and the pumps work fine. Bilge looks good (I cleaned it) and it had a brand new gas tank (which I inspected with my own eyes.) There were some extra old cables that were no longer used for anything that I have been removing them as I find them. The lights didn?t work because he never took it out at night. I got the running lights working last year so I could fish but have not fixed all of them yet. If you look at the first pic you can see the horn is falling off the boat. The old man had a brand new horn he gave me which is already on the boat. Lots of work to do, more to come.

keverdmann

Seaman Apprentice

Check out this apparatus that my brother made to get boats off the trailer. Works a lot better than the jack and blocks. Its a lot less dangerous, you never have to get under the boat...
IMG00010-20100302-1704.jpg

It works like this.

lower the tongue of the trailer as low as it goes.
block up the rear of the boat.
lift the front off the trailer and suspend by the cable.
Than remove the trailer...
block up the front and your done.