'80 18' Starcraft SS restore

86 century

Ensign
Re: '80 18' Starcraft SS restore

I made a bit of progress today. Was able to get most of the wood cut and fit.
P3011016.jpg
P3011005.jpg
P3011007.jpg
P3011006.jpg
P3011002.jpg
Hopeshefloats made the observation about a long stretch to get over the back seat. After some testing today i may have to modify the design abit.
P3011003.jpg
The next step will be to tear it all down and clean it up for gluvit and paint. Does anyone see anything i missed.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, nice work 86... here's an idea maybe...simple cut out would still give some ample cushion support via the splashwell, and should be more than enough clearance for stepping over.....you got me thinking now on something similar...be a good way to move some weight a little further forward!

p3011002.jpg

Last edited:

86 century

Ensign

Good work. I KNOW what a paint all that carpentry can be as I just finished mine. Here's my pile all ready for reassembly
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2487.jpg
Thanks, I saw your pile yesterday. It wasn't all that bad all the old pieces were in good shape and fit well they were presser treated is the only reason i changed most of them. You can see the affects of the copper eating the aluminum in some of the pics of the inner transom skin.

86 century

Ensign

Yeah, nice work 86... here's an idea maybe...simple cut out would still give some ample cushion support via the splashwell, and should be more than enough clearance for stepping over.....you got me thinking now on something similar...be a good way to move some weight a little further forward!

p3011002.jpg
That just might do it. I will try that and let you know how it goes.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks, I saw your pile yesterday. It wasn't all that bad all the old pieces were in good shape and fit well.

I think mine were cut and fit by monkeys. Pretty well useless as templates. I switched to cardboard for the templating.

86 century

Ensign

It is finally warm enough to power wash this beast. She has cleaned up quite well with not to much effort.

P3081014.jpg
P3081013.jpg

This one time that off center drain is a pain in the but.

P3081015.jpg

86 century

Ensign

Hope she floats i tried the cut out in the seat it would work just does not look very good. It maybe better if you made three cushions and the center one removable.

86 century

Ensign

I had to take a day off from the boat mostly due to waiting on resin and hardener to come in. So i did some much needed work on the trailer. The whole front assemble is junk or was on upside down.

P3091031.jpg

So i replaced it with this one. It looks alot better and supports the bow.

P3091022.jpg

I have these guide rollers on the back of the trailer they seem to be set to wide to be of any real use anyone use these and how much space did you leave on the sides.

P3091028.jpg
P3091029.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey thanks a lot for the box update, haven't made up my mind yet, still a ways to go till I get to that point.

I have similar guide-on's on my Imperial's trailer, mine are not adjustable{welding excluded}...think they are more for keeping your rig semi-centered while loading...stiff winds can be a bear sometimes if your loading alone and those help a lot during times like that.

Can't tell from the pix, but if that winch uses a rope, I would definitely think about replacing it soon, for some unknown reason, I've never had one last half a season...and they always seam to break at the ramp... personally I like the straps more....just my thoughts

86 century

Ensign

Hey thanks a lot for the box update, haven't made up my mind yet, still a ways to go till I get to that point.

I have similar guide-on's on my Imperial's trailer, mine are not adjustable{welding excluded}...think they are more for keeping your rig semi-centered while loading...stiff winds can be a bear sometimes if your loading alone and those help a lot during times like that.

Can't tell from the pix, but if that winch uses a rope, I would definitely think about replacing it soon, for some unknown reason, I've never had one last half a season...and they always seam to break at the ramp... personally I like the straps more....just my thoughts
I was thinking the same thing about the guides but they are far enough out that the boat could miss the keel rollers. I guess i will just have to try it and find out. That is a rope and it will be gone as soon as i get to town for the strap.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had those kind of guides on the Jupiter. They were next to worthless. The only thing they were good for was getting hung up on the bottom of the boat :eek:

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I put a set of similar roller type guides that I installed on my trailer on my first rig(Sylvan Sport Troller - EZ Loader Trailer). I thought they worked great. Though I did fit them properly to the hull. They worked particularly well on a launch I used to frequent on a river with heavy current. If I got the front of the boat touching the down-current roller, I could crank it in an roll tbe boat properly on to the trailer. That launch would have been a real challenge without the roller guides.

The guides on your trailer are definetly too wide and will need some sort of adjustment or replacement to be of any use.

86 century

Ensign

McGR do you have a pic of that set up. The lakes i frequent don't have much current but the wakes can get quite large. My big concern is ease of loading till the wife gets a little more confidence putting the boat on the trailer or backing it down in the water.

86 century

Ensign

I think I am at the OMG point there is so much to do were the heck do i start. So here we go coating the under side of the deck.
P3121035.jpg
P3121034.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

point there is so much to do were the heck do i start[/IMG]

I get it too...

When I think of the whole job it makes my head spin. But, when I just focus on the next step and getting that accomplished I can see the forward motion, even though small. You know, just like you did - coat the bottom side of the deck, cool man!!!

86 century

Ensign

Made a little more progress tonight. I got this idea from EZ so if doesn't work out I can blame him. I painted the bow seat bases with latex exterior barn paint to help seal them up. I know it's black but it was on the discount rack for $7.99 a gallon it will all be covered anyway.
P3131039.jpg

And the rear seat(yet to be upholstered)
P3131040.jpg

Shiny new rivets that came with the rivet gun I got for five dollars at harbor freight.

P3131041.jpg

How in the world do you get the text and pics to line up correctly.(sorry i am nearly computer illiterate)