1971 Tom Sawyer (The newest to the family)

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I just recently bought a 1971 Tom Sawyer, and it's actually in pretty good condition which I'm really happy about. It has a 165 MerCruiser inboard/outboard motor in it that starts up perfectly like it was brand new. Now since this boat is in pretty hood condition it's going to be a while before I actually get to fully restoring it, but I will be doing some small things to it through out the year. I don't have any pictures of it right at this moment, but I will for sure get some pictures up here as soon as I can. I'm also going to be redoing the trailer on this boat as well so I want to do a 2 part restore on this thread being the boat and trailer. The trailer will be done way before the boat is done so I will for now be putting more pictures of the trailer on here.

A little details on the boat since I can't get any pictures on here right now. It is white in color which it will remain that color when I repaint it. The interior first with the seats. They are green in color, and starting to crack. I will have to eventually have new vinyl put on the seats, but that will be after the boating season is done for this year. The carpet in it is also a greenish color, and will be be replaced after this boating season as well. The interior vinyl is a darker yellow kind of a gold color. I will be changing the interior either to a blue/white or black/white coloring. The outside of the hull will have some graphics painted on it.

Now as far as the restoring I'm going to do on the boat through out the boating season; I'm planning on replacing the lights on it, possibly place new carpet in it, add a stereo, and a few other small items.

When I got this boat the gears were stripped on the lower drive unit, and I called MerCruiser about this and told them about my 1984 Ebbtide boat and the motor on it. They told me that the lower drive unit would fit on the drive unit on the 1971 Tom Sawyer which was nice to hear. I took the lower drive unit off the Ebbtide, and matched it up with the upper drive unit on the Tom sawyer, and perfect match. The whole outer drive unit was taken to the local boat shop so they could test it, and it works perfectly. Now I just have to take it to the boat shop in 2 weeks and they will slide the outer drive unit back into the boat, change the rubber grauments on the trim, grease it, and put the new prop on it. I was told $150.00 for all of this which I think is a pretty good price. They are also going to change the plugs, and oil on it as well.

The trailer is going to be a simple restore project. I'm going to replace all the rollers with new ones. Right now it is white, but I'm going to repaint it as a metallic black with silver flakes. The wiring harness has been replaced with a new one already, and I have already put new lights on it. I also put 5 extra lights on it as well. I added a yellow on each side on the front part of the fender, and red on the rear of the fender. I also added the 3 light bar on the very back of the trailer in the middle. I will also be taking some "O" bolts and welding them along the top of the trailer for the bungie cords for the boat cover. That way it will make it easier to tie down the boat cover. The trailer also has trailer brakes on it that are built into the tongue which I just need to build a new cover for it since the old one broke on me.

This is going to be a fun rebuild project, and I will enjoy it much more than my Ebbtide that I have another thread about. This boat thankfully requires less work to be done to it.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1971 Tom Sawyer (The newest to the family)

Well finally I have the images uploaded. I did make a mistake on my first post about my own boat which I think is pretty sad. The interior color is a yellow/gold color, and the floor is a black/blue color. The first few pictures are just the outside of the boat which is in pretty good condition. It's just a little dirty right now and needs a serious bath.

I already replaced the tow chain since it didn't have a good one on it when I bought the boat. The wiring has also been replaced on the trailer and has new lights all around. I upgraded them to LED.

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

The outer drive assembly was been taken off the boat. The lower unit was bad when I bought it. I took the upper drive assembly off the boat for repairs.
005-1.jpg

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few pictures of the motor and the outer drive assembly. The motor is in really good condition. It has a couple of small issues, but are a extremely easy fix. There is a couple of wires that I need to find out where they are suppose to connect to which shouldn't be to hard to locate. I also have to replace one of the plugs that keeps the water in the block.

Here is the outer unit. The lower unit that came with the boat was bad. I called MerCruiser about this issue and told them I had the unit from my '84 Ebbtide. They told me the lower unit from my other boat, and the upper unit from this boat would be a perfect fit. I took the upper unit out of the boat to make it easier to slide the lower unit in. And now they are complete and just needs to be put back on the boat.

006.jpg

Here is the right side of the motor, and it's in good condition.

010.jpg

Now the rest of the pictures of the motor.

011.jpg

012.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Great looking boat. That motor is timeless and will serve you well.

Keep us posted!

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I got the outer drive assembly put back on the boat. I took it to a boat place and had them do it since I didn't have the tools, and I had no idea how to slide it back in there. I started the boat in my drive way (I did use the hose deal you put on the motor for water) and it started up without any problems. Now I have put the boat in a body of water, but didn't start it since the body of water you can't use a gas powered motor in it, and it floated perfectly. Anyhow I have already started to order the marine grade vinyl so I can get started on rebuilding the seats and hood on the inside of the boat. It's going to be probably 2 years before I get to actually fully rebuilding this boat, but you have to start somewhere with it. I'm also going to go ahead and get the gauges replaced and right now at a stand still until I get seats done. That sadly will take a while. As soon as I can get the pics uploaded I will post the newer pics on here.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I came across a small problem with the boat. I don't know if it's a full problem worth worrying about right now or not. When I have the throttle in the lock position the boat doesn't want to start at all. So I unlock it move it forward and it will turn over. Now with it running I go to put the throttle back into the locked position and it stalls out on me or if I go to put it in reverse. I don't have any ideas on what could be causing this problem, and it is really starting to get annoying. Anyone got any ideas on this little problem?

P.S. Newest pics will be up on here today.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Engine questions in the engine forum. The engine gurus rarely hang out in the resto forum.

That being said, having to have the throttle advanced a bit to start doesn't sound abnormal to me. As for the stalling, sounds like your idle speed is set too low or a dirty carb.

Do you have a neutral safety lockout switch? It would either be internal to the remote control or on the engine where the shift linkage is mounted. It prevents you from starting the boat in gear. If it is bad or out of position it may not allow you to start the engine, even if the shift lever is in neutral. Worth a check.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll ask this question in the motor section as well, but when the shifter is locked in the neutral position the boat will not start. When I take the shifter out of the lock position and either slide it in forward or reverse it will start. Now when I lock it back into the neutral position the motor will stop running.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was reading it wrong....I thought it would turn over but not start. Greg is more in line than me.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was reading it wrong....I thought it would turn over but not start. Greg is more in line than me.

It's cool that happens lol. Anyhow I called MerCruiser about the problem and it was mentioned to me that possibly the gear cable due to it's age has maybe stretched and could be causing the problems with it. Now what I'm wondering is if the cable has been stretched due to it's age would the cable from my other boat that is a MerCruiser 470 would work on this 1971 MerCruiser 165 work or not. That was one suggestion that I was given, and hopefully a solution can be found for this without having to take the boat to a boat shop (EXPENSIVE). I know members on here have a great deal of knowledge that I'm very grateful for.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the plus side is I have the outer drive assembly back on the boat now. I have taken a few pictures of the outer drive assembly at 3 different angels. The first three pictures are just of the drive assembly, and the last three pictures are with the boat turned on. The boat will be going on the water Friday March 19, 2010 to see just how well it runs, and will go from there with the restoration through out the year. This boat is going to be a slow process since I will be doing a partial restore and using it at the same time. Hopefully it all goes well. After the pictures of the outer drive assembly I have some interior pictures that I will be posting on here as well.

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

WITH MOTOR RUNNING

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is some pictures taken of the interior. The seats are faded pretty badly, and a couple of the seats are torn. When I get some vinyl I'll start to rebuild the seats.

015.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

016.jpg

014.jpg

013.jpg

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the final 2 pictures that I have right now of the interior.

008.jpg

007-1.jpg

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello, nice looking boat, pretty clean for her age. nice and roomy, interior not to bad for almost 40yrs.
good luck

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah the guy that owned the boat before me always kept it in a garage when it wasn't in use. The towels on the floor were just from when I crawled under the bow to take care of the old vent fuel line. That and I just got to lazy to clean it up. The seats still have a really good cushion in them. It's just the vinyl needs to be replaced and a different color needs to be put in. Next year when I replace the floor and stringers in it I'm not going to put carpet back on the floor. I'm just going to paint a non slick surface on it. Carpet is a pain in the rear to keep properly clean. I'm thinking on the back of the boat get rid of the ladder and install a swim platform that goes all the way across. I'm not really to big on the ladders at all. The gauges are going to be relocated when I rebuild the dash. What I'm going to do with that is put a corner box in under the dash that will hold all the small gauges, and the 2 big gauges will stay right where they are at. Just closer to me eye vision, and angled some as well. The new hood that I'm going to build I'm going to put a little shelf in the front of it that will have 2 cup holders, and a magazine rack in the middle. With the stern facing seats I'm going to keep those at the 60/20 they are now, and on the port and starboard side I'm going to install cup holders. In the walk through in between the seats I'm going to build an arm rest that will have cup holders in it, and for the single seats I'm going to just put the cup holder on the wall. Now as far as the rear view mirror I don't know if I'm going to completely take it out or just put a car style one in there. The one that is in there right now is just chrome plated steel, and it won't be able to be cleaned at all. It's got rust build up that has gone through the chrome plating. I'll get more figured out the farther I go with this boat. I am happy about the good condition it is in for the age of the boat.

If anyone has any ideas for other things I might be able to do to this boat please let me know. I'm kind of wanting to make it a modern style boat, but also keeping the classic look to it as well.

Oh' with the switches that are in it now I am planning on putting a new modern style 6-panel switch block in there. I'll post some pictures on here int he near future on some of the different parts that I'm wanting to install. Thank you all for the help you are offering. Everyone's opinion will be listened to on how to do this since I'm still fresh out of the egg on restoring a boat.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice work so far, i like the sounds of your plans, keep at it!!

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

nice work so far, i like the sounds of your plans, keep at it!!

Thank you; the only problem I'm having right now is I can't find any where that has the Tom Sawyer logo that goes on the sides of the boat. I also have no idea where to look for the swim platform for the stern. I'm going to do some drawings of the seats that I'm wanting to build for this boat, and need some ideas to go with it or if the design is good to work with. I' really wanting to make it a catchy boat that has that extremely unique look for the brand of boat it is.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your logos are vinyl, take a pic to a vinyl shop (sign maker) have them size/color them the way you want probly 25-35bucks, if there cast metal or plastic im not sure that probly could get $$$$$ to have done.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your logos are vinyl, take a pic to a vinyl shop (sign maker) have them size/color them the way you want probly 25-35bucks, if there cast metal or plastic im not sure that probly could get $$$$$ to have done.

The logo's are 1/4 inch thick plastic. I'll have to do some searching on where to find them at. I'm sure they can be found out there some where.

Well I put the boat on the water for the first time today. The boat started up without a problem, but when I went to put it in reverse and forward she didn't move. Just floated with the current. Now I did discover after I put the boat back on the trailer and pulled it out of the water when the lever is moved either forward or reverse the cable wasn't moving at all with it. So I went to the boat show bought a new (used) lever/gear case, and currently putting the new one in the boat. I took the stock one apart, and the gear casing was shot. The nice thing about this new set up is it does have trim on the handle which is really nice. After I get the new one installed I'll put some pictures up here for everyone to see it. Then after sully installed and the cables adjusted I'll put it back in the water, and we can hope it moves.