Outdrive wont go up

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 84 celebrity 225v cuddy i bought today. Everything looks good but the forward and reverse lever is stuck in neutral wont go either direction unless you push the idle button. You can see the cables and and the lever try to budge it just doesnt.

Another issue is the outdrive mercruiser went down just fine but now wont go up all the way. It goes up about the same amount 2-3" everytime. WTF!!!???:confused: The pump is full with good clean hydro fluid. Have 2 good batteries hooked up so i know its not a 12V problem.....Can anyone please help!!!!!??

Thanks all

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive wont go up

How long have you owned this boat?
Can you post a picture of your throttle and shift control?
Is the tilt&trim control a 3 button setup?
It really doesn't matter what kind of boat you have, what kind of engine and drive is the big thing. Mercruiser SN's are very helpful, especially since you have a crossover year and it could be anything.

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

How long have you owned this boat?
Can you post a picture of your throttle and shift control?
Is the tilt&trim control a 3 button setup?
It really doesn't matter what kind of boat you have, what kind of engine and drive is the big thing. Mercruiser SN's are very helpful, especially since you have a crossover year and it could be anything.

Bought boat today
tilt control is on shift lever
can post pics of throttle control will be in about 20 mins
I have a 260hp mercruiser only about 20 hrs on motor.
Can try to find serial numbers here in a few

Don S

Depending on they type control you have, is how to describe how to work it. You may have a newer/different control from OEM. many controls have a lever under the handle that you have to lift up to move into gear from neutral, they may also have a seperate switch for raising the drive to the trailer/tilt position from the trim position.
You probably should have had the seller show you how things work and where things are located.

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

serial numbers for
on the back of outdrive-C849672
Transom-6846672
Drive unit-6836927
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/coreymccormick/boat stuff/DSCN0223.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/coreymccormick/DSCN0219.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/coreymccormick/boat stuff/DSCN0220.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/coreymccormick/boat stuff/DSCN0221.jpg

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/coreymccormick/boat stuff/DSCN0224.jpg

Got the throttle selector to go forward now but now i cant start it because it wont go back into neutral or reverse

EDIT: In the future, edit your pictures to 640 x 480. Those are way too big.

Last edited by a moderator:

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

See where the "trailer" button is on the throttle selector what does that button do?

Don S

Push the trailer button and the drive will go all the way up.

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

really oh snap! Really hope that works!!! Thanks a lot guy now can you solve my other problem....?

Don S

In a minute.........

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

ok....Well its been several minutes! just playing man do you really have a solution for me or you yankin my chain?

Don S

ok....Well its been several minutes! just playing man do you really have a solution for me or you yankin my chain?

Sorry I was so #@&%#@ slow with my free information. I was about to post a picture, but after that response never mind. Figure it out yourself.

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry I was so #@&%#@ slow with my free information. I was about to post a picture, but after that response never mind. Figure it out yourself.

No i think it came across the wrong way, I didnt mean anything by it i just didnt know if you were playing with me. I am really trying to figure this out and i really appreciate your help it is just frustrating me that i cant figure this crap out. I am new here and i am on a couple other forums and the other guys yank my chain all the time. really sorry if i offended you by my post didnt mean to **** ya off.....really!

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

Shouldnt matter if the engine is running or not right? I cant get the throttle selector to come out of forward now, so i cant start the boat

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you should find the manual for the engine and drive up in the adults section.
There you will find how to disconnect the shift cable at the junction point ,this will isolate it to either the main cable, control box, or lower drive cable.

Don S

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2000 control.jpg
    2000 control.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the pic.... it wont go into reverse-it gets tight but will go in forward

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

If i hold the throttle button it goes into forward and reverse with ease, when i want to run the prop it goes about half way into forward then gets tight, when you put it back into neutral it wont start you have to have it in forward just a little then it will just click like the starter soleniod is bad. But when you try to put it into reverse it doesnt budge it is just locked no matter what. Is my gear selector bad?

Powerstrokinc

Seaman Apprentice

If i hold the throttle button it goes into forward and reverse with ease, when i want to run the prop it goes about half way into forward then gets tight, when you put it back into neutral it wont start you have to have it in forward just a little then it will just click like the starter soleniod is bad. But when you try to put it into reverse it doesnt budge it is just locked no matter what. Is my gear selector bad?

There is a relay or something thats on the side of the mount that hold the cables that go from gear selector to the motor, its got a black wire and a white with green stripe on it that go into a box about 1"x1 1/2"x1/2" what is that? it looks like this

IMG00173.jpg

IMG00174.jpg