Replacing my carpet-Want insight before I start

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am planning on replacing my carpet on my 95 Sylvan 16 pro select. I want to just replace the floor and deck carpet. The sides are in really great shape and are a teal color. All the decking is grap and I can match that up pretty well. I am just wondering how much of a pain this is going to be? I would like any and all input from the guys who have done this. It looks, at first glance, that the some of the floor can be pulled up without removing all the sides. Will I have to remove any of the side panel? Also what kind of adhesive should I get? I definately want to carpet it again for the look and feel, even though its a fishing boat. Please don't recommend to me to put vinyl flooring or some other kind of coating, I want carpet. Thanks to all that can help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing my carpet-Want insight before I start

I think some pics would help...

I just ordered some marine carpet for my project from Home Depot's web site and ordered the adhesive that was linked from the carpet page. I'll let everyone know how it goes. On my last boat I used carpet from BassPro and their adhesive. Not a fan at all of their adhesive. Very runny and didn't adhere well.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

The carpet on my springbok is not glued. It's just wrapped around each floor panel and stapled. I ripped a piece in the front and as soon as it gets back from getting the cover made I'm going to tackle that.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know, now that I think of it, maybe mine is not glued either. It may just be stapled as well. The carpet is worn on the edges where you get up and down from the front and the rear decks. Ther carpet is loose and you can see the wood. I plan to bring the boat home this weekend for a while and scope things out. I can take some pics too and post them if I don't get it figured out.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great, we would love to hear how it goes.

antdog

Cadet

i just started a carpet project on my deckboat. It's been a beast! Gone through 2 gallons of acetone and still haven't gotten all the old glue and carpet up. It was the original carpet. It had a rubber backing that is mostly not coming up when I pulled the carpet out. I thought this was going to be a week end project, not so much.....

I'm usin homedepot indoor/outdoor carpet to go back on the boat, and their strongest adhesive. Hope to be putting the new carpet down this week end.

Hick

Recruit

All the info i found on glue is that "Henry's 263" is the best. Its waterproof after 2 hours and it is the glue im going to use on mine, its just hard to find a store that carries it. I found this helpfull as well (http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/310502)

tallcanadian

Captain

I used auto/marine carpet in my boat. I glued it down with marine carpet adhesive. It's been there now three years and still in great shape.