LED Lights

verndacks

Recruit
Looking to put new LED Lights on my Skeeter bass boat trailer. Any suggestions on the best avaliable?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: LED Lights

I would look in your NAPA store or here on line at iboats.

Gary13

Cadet

I use Optronics that I got from iBoats. Not a problem in 12 years with that brand.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use Optronics that I got from iBoats. Not a problem in 12 years with that brand.

I second Optronics LED trailer lights. VERY easy to install, very bright, and everythig you need is in one kit for about $60.

Chris's CVX16

Seaman Apprentice

I can't remember which brand mine are. I got them from Boaters World during the "clearing everything out of the store event".

One word... Wow.

I then went back and picked up a hand full of LED clearance lights. Nice and bright. Makes it easier for me to back up in the dark as well. Plus there is little to no electrical draw. My blinkers are no different with the trailer or without it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think they are expensive for an item that will likely need replacement--but that's a salt water perspective. If you do a lot of night time towing and fresh water launching, it's an option.

And there's no such thing as waterproof.

(I had my car and trailer in the shop for a mechanic to trace a short in the light system that stumped everyone. He called and said a light was correded and needed replacing; I said go ahead-it was a new to me used trailer, and a whole light set is abot $25. Well he wasn't a trailer guy and ordered them from his parts supplier and here is a $120 light set installed on a trailer I might use around town twice a year! Oh well he spent easily 6 hours on the ghost short and charged me for 3 so I guess I came out even. Lesson learned!)

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I can't remember which brand mine are. I got them from Boaters World during the "clearing everything out of the store event".

One word... Wow.

I then went back and picked up a hand full of LED clearance lights. Nice and bright. Makes it easier for me to back up in the dark as well. Plus there is little to no electrical draw. My blinkers are no different with the trailer or without it.

I got the same lights, and added 2 extra fender clearance lights to mine as well. Very pleased, I have pics floating around here somewhere of it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

One nice advantage to them that nobody has mentioned. They have WAY less current draw so less susceptible to failing with bad connections including grounds.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I can't say enough good about led's .... They really can be water proof and they withstand vibration really well.... I had an old car trailer that would go through tail lights several times a year..... I switched to a cheap chinese set od led's which came with the wiring harness for $35 5 years or so ago and they are still working for the new owner.... I have installed them on several boat trailers and my wrecker since and I will NEVER again replace incandesant lights on a trailer with anything other than led's... I am even gradually changing my jeep and dually over.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I am on the LED bandwagon too, with the old bulb lights it seemed like you rarely got a year out of them without having to mess with them when you should be on your way to the ramp.

With the LEDs I haven't had to do anything to them for 3 years and they really increase your safety.

My worst nightmare is that soemone rear ends the boat, a distinct possibility with the wimpy incandecent bulbs btu the LEDs are blindingly bright.

They are copmpletely sealed and LEDs have a life span of like 100,000 hours so it really is a once in a lifetime purchase.

If you cna't tell I really really likke my LEDs.

RAT Attack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am refinsihing my trailer right now & I just bought a set of LED optronics submursable tail light with wiring kit, and then bought a set of 9 LED marker/turn signals ( red & amber ) on EBAY. I can't wait to get to the point of me being ready to install. I can't believe I am actually excited about trailer lights....
I NEED HELP!:D

cribber

Lieutenant

Nah you don't need help... just a project to get ya through until you can drop your boat in the water!!! Can't go wrong with LED lighting and fresh wiring.