Thanks for the laughs!

sdamron

Recruit
I just registered so I could tell you bunch of guys/gals that you make my day on a regular basis! These are some of the funniest stories I have ever heard. Funniest thing is...I have been boating for about 25 years, and still have some of the same accidents that you guys have immortalized yourselves with here.

In fact...Just last weekend, I was boating in north Texas, and my wife asks me to stop so she can make some sandwiches. So, of course, I did. Not in a really good place, the lake was pretty choppy, but I stopped non the less.

So, we eat our sandwiches, and decide to wind it up and get going again...every time I try to put the motor in gear, it dies, and we are bobbing toward the shore. We finally get up against the pier and some nice folks help us tie up, and I bring the motor up to see if I can see anything, and hmmm... is that the mooring line twisted around the prop?, why, yes it is. I cut it lose and we fired up and went straight back to the marina, and wrapped it up for the day. I decided if things were going to go that way, I was done for the day!!!

Just wanted to give you guys a little laugh, you have given me quite a few!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Thanks for the laughs!

Welcome to iboats.
Just goes to show you that no matter how experienced we may be we can turn from competent to idiot in less than a second !!!! Glad everything turned out O.K. though.

Twidget

Commander

Welcome aboard and thanks for the story.

rndn

Commander

Thanks for sharing your story.

woodrat

Ensign

I had a similar mishap with the mooring line, except we were going about 20 kts when it happened. It had been left sloppily piled up in front and as we were whipping along, it slowly slid over the side. A 20' line on a 16' boat has plenty left over to foul the prop. We came to a very sudden and surprising stop, I'll tell ya! Like tripping over your own shoelace while running flat out...

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was pulling a tube on Lake Delton (wis,dells) with my 1979 Checkmate jetboat for the fist time and could understand why my friend on the tube kept getting closer to the boat while underway..until the engine quickly died.I had sucked the tow line up the intake grate and was winding him in.I am here to tell you,It does not unwind as easily.I like to learn from other peoples mistakes but never really get a chance to before I make them myself.:D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats, and the ship of fools! :D

Yeah, the man that never made a mistake, never made anything ;)

By the way, general rule of thumb, mooring line should be 2/3rds the length of the boat, so a 15ft boat should have a 10ft line maximum.

It's great having the answers after the event, ain't it! :D

If it makes ya feel better I was on a Royal Navy minesweeper that tied up alongside in an island harbour and we all went to the pub.........came back and the tide had dropped from under the boat! OMG!!! I wish I'd had a camera that day! :D

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Does anyone know how fast you can kill a trolling battery by wrapping your fishing line around your TM shaft?? I do!

57whitehouse

Chief Petty Officer

How many of you have run over your mooring line while driving down the road?

Yeah, that's me.

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice

Did the same in my old 12' boat. Same type of set up, started motor ran fine then when put in gear it wouldn't go. Except it had wrapped up enough that I couldn't pull the motor up to look at it. I was duck hunting by myself in November. In a river in Michigan, current wasn't too strong but putting my arm in the cold water up to the elbow to pull the rope off was enough of a learning experience to make me remember to never do that again.