2003 Johnson 115 , Cowling Stuck On a Lever broken ...

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have just purchased a boat got it home and went to pull the hood/cowling off and the it was stuck , and the damn lever broke off , now i have no way to even try ....

I am not a boat mechanic , but im just curious can this be taken off without breaking the dog house / cowl ?

Please im lost and now my recently purchased boat is messed up and i cant even try to fix it ...

Any suggestions or even a lil assurance it can be taken off with out damaging the hood would be refreshing news ....
No one to turn to and cant afford a mechanic now ....

Thanks

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2003 Johnson 115 , Cowling Stuck On a Lever broken ...

Does that one have rivets on the outside of the hood? if so drill them out.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have just purchased a boat got it home and went to pull the hood/cowling off and the it was stuck , so i wd-40 the hell out of it and tried a day later , and the damn lever broke off , now i have no way to even try ....

I am not a boat mechanic , but im just curious can this be taken off without breaking the dog house / cowl ?

Please im lost and now my recently purchased boat is messed up and i cant even try to fix it ...

Any suggestions or even a lil assurance it can be taken off with out damaging the hood would be refreshing news ....
No one to turn to and cant afford a mechanic now ....

Thanks ..

Welcome to Iboats!

You are lost trying to remove the cover from your outboard..:D

OK. Now the 2003 models should have a lever on both sides that flips down then you can remove the lid. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If you have broken one off can you grab the remaining piece with some vice grips and turn it?

It seems strange to me that a 2003 model engine has the cover seized on.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2003 has the recessed handle that you pull out and then turn, front and back if not kept greased they freeze up, start drilling out the center bolt. the latches are glued on, not bolted or riveted. i also do not see a replacement handle on BRP site.

my question, did you not look at the motor, before you bought it?

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yea the lever that pulls out and then down broke .....

I did not see the motor , i got the boat really cheap ...
Its a 2004 Glastron 183cc , that was purchased new in 2006 ..
with a 2003 Johnson 115hp for $5000 cash ...

Even if the motor needs a rebuild im way ahead , i upgraded from a 99 17'' key largo with a johnson 90hp that i sold for $6650 , this boat is much nicer !!

I need to get the cover off , after looking at it , i decided i would probably drill it out as it looks like the best way ... Hoping its a solid engine , i know it needs the carbs cleaned as it wont stay running longer then a few minutes and its loading up with gas .... Float probably stuck ....

anyhow does anyone know if this motor has a comp i could hook up and check the hours once the hood is off ????

2003 115hp johnson 2stroke lsts

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is it a carb or injected motor?

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Carb .....is the computer only for FI ?

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was just looking at the Schematic and they don't show the handle like you said , does this mean im in deep **** ? or should a dealer be able to assist me ?

I appreciate the help !!!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You are the man ..... That is exactly what i was looking for ....
I truly appreciate the help ......

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

anyone happen to know where i can find a schematic to the carbs ?
or even anyplace i can purchase a service manual , so i know what im looking at ....

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

anyone happen to know where i can find a schematic to the carbs ?
or even anyplace i can purchase a service manual , so i know what im looking at ....

hey oneluv1979, sounds like you got the cowling off..cool.

shop2.evinrude.com has the schematics for all the parts on your motor. If you are having other issues with your motor you should create a new post with the description of your question. Lots of people on here available to help you out.

cheers

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey oneluv1979, sounds like you got the cowling off..cool.

shop2.evinrude.com has the schematics for all the parts on your motor. If you are having other issues with your motor you should create a new post with the description of your question. Lots of people on here available to help you out.

cheers

Thanks bud , but i have not got the cowling off yet .... I do plan on getting it this weekend though and once off i will run a compression check and if all is good i will go ahead and rebuild the carbs .... I appreciate everyones help ...

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I added a pic .....

OneLuv1979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I messed with it today and dont see how drilling it will work , can i take off the lower cowl or is there a bolt inside by the lever ?

Im lost for answers , wish someone had this problem and could guide me as to how the hell i can remove this cowling without cutting it off ...