trailer winch arm

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
where can i find the arm for a winch post?
i just got a boat and the arm is too short as the bowstop dosent touch the boat.
DSCN1989.jpg

Thanks

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: trailer winch arm

Is that a different boat then the trailer had before?
It kinda looks like you might be able to un-bolt and rotate the winch 180 and then move the entire winch post towards the boat until the bow stop is against the boat.
Might want to add a spacer to raise the winch post so that the bow roller is above the bow eye.
Making sure the boat is where you want it in the first place.

You might not have to buy anything new other than the spacer.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

i wasn't able to buy the other boat, as when i was supposed to go and look at it my vehicle had to go to the shop, and he was only holding it for that long. he then sold it

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think what jeeperman was getting at is it doesn't appear that trailer was designed for that boat.

From what I see in the picture:
The bow roller needs to be above the bow eye like jeeperman said.
The bow roller needs to be higher in relation to the winch.
The winch strap should pass under the bow roller to attach to the bow eye. I don't think the winch is backward since the handle is on the left side.

It looks like even with the boat winched as far as possible, the bow will not contact the bow roller. You'll need to lengthen the arms the hold the bow roller at least.

If you cannot get the winch strap to go under the bow roller and still pull somewhat horizontal, you should at least use an additional strap (like a ratchet kind) to secure the bow down to the trailer.

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To clarify the winch strap and winch orientation, you may be able to reverse how the strap is wound on the winch drum. You'll crank the other way to wind it on but I've seen them both ways.