Glassing New Plywood deck

giterdone72

Seaman
I am in the process of putting a new deck on my 85 Bayliner Capri. I already glassed in new stringers/supports. I am using polyester resin/6oz cloth. Is it advised that the new deck-5/8 sanded exterior ply-be sanded or roughed up to increase poly bond to the new plywood as it is a very smooth surface? or will it be able to penetrate well enough on its own?

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Glassing New Plywood deck

My concern wouldn't be sanding, but that the fresh new plywood would soak up the resin out of the cloth. I think it's a good idea to coat new plywood with resin first and let that set up before applying the cloth.

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in but the wood WILL soak up resin, so that won't be an issue from your question's standpoint, but could be a problem if it does it too well!

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What he said, you don't want all your hard work to rot away due to moisture penetration in a few years. Seal all your wood components if you haven't already.

I just noticed your other post concerning the under-side of your deck. I am no expert but at the very least seal that side. Others may chime in about glassing the underside, but I guess it depends on your material quantities and budget. I am at the same stage on my restore and I'm a little curious myself. I will be following this thread.

Good luck!

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the ply is dirty it would be advisible to sand but it is not really necessary for clean wood.

I am sure Giterdone has no problem with the wood drying out his glass as he has all ready done stringers.To keep wood from absorbing resin out of the glass you just have to resin coat the wood before the first layer of glass.

I almost alyways sand the plywood I use just so I sleep better at night:)
It is also recommended to have a minimum of 10oz of cloth on a deck.

Fuzzy

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As DukesFin said the ply will soak up the first coat. Do a coat of a just resin, let it cure, then do a 2nd with your glass.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe a dumb question but why put glass on a flat, supported surface of plywood that's sealed with resin? Just curious because I know structurally the plywood will deal with the weight on it. I'm planning on building a live well from plywood, sealed with resin & glassed over inside, especially corners, where I will fill with a wood flour/resin mix. Should I glass over top & outside of sides? It will sit on a casting deck I am adding over the front seats of my tri-hull bowrider but the top will probably be stood on occasionally. Should I also glass the casting deck?

giterdone72

Seaman

Thanks everyone for all the good advice. I coated the underside and edges of my deck with resin. I used pl375 ontop of the stringers & screwed down with s/s screws. Man that's a solid deck now! Just waiting on my order from us composites to come in so I can glass the top!
A couple of questions for anybody to chime in about-
1- do I need to put a deck plate (access hole) in the deck in the bow- old ski locker area? maybe to aid in drying out the bilge later? my deck is solid now with a 1" pvc in the tip of the bow for water to drain into the bilge and 2 more at the back of the bow deck. I don't want rot again later.
2- I thought it would be cool and useful to get a hatch cover for the battery compartment, it was under the center seat which I am eliminating to make it easier to move around in the boat. so I ordered a tempress hatch cover from great lakes skipper and its supposed to be here today. BUT I was now wondering how much ventilation the battery needs? maybe I will have to put a few 'Breather' holes in the side of the batt compartment?
Any advice is welcomed thanks guys-