Completed Boat Project

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the late summer/winter project has come to an end. I want to thank everyone for all the great advise. I dont think I could have pulled it off without the help of these boards. I made alot of mistakes along the way but I also learned alot. Had it out once for a short sea trial and everthing went well. Waiting for some warmer weather to give it a good test run.Thanks to everyone. I am posting some before and after pictures.

DSC03799.jpg

Picture072.jpg

DSC03800.jpg

Picture070.jpg

DSC03801.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Last edited:

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: Completed Boat Project

JGra,
Well, Let me the first to say congratulations. That is and amazing transformation. The boat looks great. :D
Well done.
Bob

robthompson66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, that boat is beautiful!
Excellent work! Now it's time to go and enjoy it.

Rob

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

JGra,
Well, Let me the first to say congratulations. That is and amazing transformation. The boat looks great. :D
Well done.
Bob

Thanks, Here are a couple more Pictures

Picture066.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I like the way the deck looks. That flooring material looks like a great idea.

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the way the deck looks. That flooring material looks like a great idea.

Thanks, I did not want carpet so I put a couple coats of resin down on the wood floor an came across a 10x6 piece of this rubber diamond plate flooring at a good price (FREE). I think it came out good.

tallcanadian

Captain

Beautiful boat, Looks awesome. Great job. I think your flooring is the highlight of your project. Have fun with it.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Is that rubber flooring - normally seen in commercial stairwells?

Thinking of using that too!

Clark

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That is a great deck covering idea...... I have to look into that and I would be concerned about UV breakdown ???? But I do like it. I believe it is PVC material.

UPDATE: HMMMM I have been doing research and everything I have read has warnings about the surfaces being very slippery when wet. I am not sure if it is a legal warning but it makes sense. I will be interested to see how it acts when wet ...not that we actually have enough room to run around in our boats!

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow. That restore came out sweet. Did you do a full restore or just a clean/paint and hardware replace? Love the deck. Looks great!

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dont think it was any more slippery that what I had before. My main reason for using it was to keep as much water off the wood floor as possible. Even though it was coated with a couple of coats of resin and another sealer prior to the floor going down. Also, like you said not a whole lot of room for running around. The flooring is a left over piece of a roll and is actually the flooring that is used inside of ambulance's and rescue units. I would think they would be slip proof to some degree. As far as the UV I did not think about that but it?s really durable. It is a pretty think material and is supposed to be liquid proof. This whole job has been a very low budget project that I did in my driveway. The floor had some rot in places and with the design of the boat to do it 100 % correct the 2 half?s would have had to be separated. I did not have the time or equipment to pull that off. What I did was cut out all the rot and went over the old floor with a marine ? grade piece of plywood (patch job, I know the comments are coming). I coated both sides with resin on both sides and fiber glassed around the edged about 3 inches up the hull. The boat was given to me minus the motor. My whole idea was to at least get 3-4 years out of her. I keep it covered when not in use in hope of getting as much life out of her as I can. Total spent including a new to me 89 80 hp mercury was around $1500.00 dollars. Like I said very low budjet.

Johnny Too Bad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow, really nice job ... especially for only spending $1500. Looks like a great setup to do some serious fishing! BTW, I love the flooring. If it does turn out to be too slippery when wet, you could always glue some no-slip strips down like it had before. Very sharp looking boat!

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I think it will be ok. After I had it down for a day or 2 I washed it down and it felt ok.

mikastorm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is one sweet job.:)! Looks like a mighty fine fishing machine.
Congratulations!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Wow! What an amazing transformation. Congrats!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What paint did you use on top? Spray or Roll and Tip?

JGra

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Rustoleum oil based paint. I put 2 heavy coats on it and then mixed in some sand and put a third coat down. Total cost for the paint was $20.00. Like I said, low budjet project.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

boat looks good. and by the way, your deck repair is much like what the PO of my boat did. looked good and lasted a good two years. btw what was wrong with the other motor that was on her?