A Bug??????

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander
OK here is what happens.I get the ERROR REPORT--SEND/DON'T SEND.

Then I get a box with the blue stripe across the top. In the upper right corner is a big red X.The first sentence says you might lose whatever if you don't save.the rest is:SHUTDOWN INITIATED BY--NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY.

This happens every 30 to 45 minutes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: A Bug??????

Just a thought, but have you run any of the spyware/malware programs like Spybot? Or any of the viirus scanners?

Sounds like it says a shutdown is happening, but it doesm't shut down. Makes me a little suspicious.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Google the error ......there seems to be a few suggestions out there for a fix. See what others have done..... this is the first I have heard of it.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Microsoft Security essentials is free and seems to be decent. You may need to scan in safe mode (F5 while booting). You might try reverting to a previously saved restore point to see if that gets you back to before the virus. To get to a restore point: start/all programs/system tools/system restore. Depending on how pervasive the virus is, that may work.

If you have something really tricky that won't even let you start in safe mode, try to get in with shift/F8.

And yes, you can try to google the virus to see what others are saying. Just be careful if a solution recommends modifying registry entries. If you can't find a software fix by that time, it's probably a good idea to take it somewhere and spend the $35 to have them get rid of the virus.

Good luck.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There was a malware bug making the rounds several years ago, called KillAV (win32.trojan.killav). It did exactly what you are describing. These things usually seem to go away after awhile, but maybe you have some variation of the original.

I would download Malwarebytes and run it in safemode. If you can't get it downloaded, download it onto a flash drive on another computer, plug the flash drive into yours and run it from there.

If you download Spybot S&D, you may end up having to remove it later, because it has a module that runs in the background which will bring a lot of computers to their knees, in terms of speed. This is because it examines every thing you do, as you do it, looking for bugs. I tried it for awhile and it slowed my photo editing work flow to the point of being extremely annoying. The same was true of web surfing. As soon as I removed the software, I was back to normal.

???