No Brainer just need input for argument with the wife.

No Brainer just need input for argument with the wife.

• yes

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • no

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so this is my first thread. I recently purached a 1988 vip valliant 185 i/o with a 4.3l v6 and cobra out drive.(all in good condition cept floor will start a thread on that later) I happened to stumble on to a tri hull today that has no title has not been registered for 10 years boat is in bad shape cosmetically, but I am not interested in the hull or interior. It to has a cobra out drive and 4.6l v-6 that runs the guy wants $350.00. For all including trailer. It has only been two weeks since I bought the VIP but I may not be able to pass on this one(wife will be pissed but owell). What do you think Purchase or pass?

One more thing I have already talked him down from 550.00

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: No Brainer just need input for argument with the wife.

my expert advice is:

a cobra out drive and 4.6l v-6 that runs .... 350.00

not arguing with the wife... priceless

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ps

if your asking us to choose

i would need a picture of both!

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I said yes but if my wife gets mad my boat is a comfortable place to sleep.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I said yes because I am assuming that your wife enjoys boating. She will think it is worth it when you get her out on the water. If she doesn't... well...you are screwed both ways....:D

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I said yes because I am assuming that your wife enjoys boating. She will think it is worth it when you get her out on the water. If she doesn't... well...you are screwed both ways....:D

Well I am not asking any one to choose for me just needed some urging in the right direction. Dont really know if my wife enjoys boating since the only two times we have been on the water together was on a pwc and in my 1962 sears 12' v-bottom alum with a little 1967 6 hp evenrude fisherman. btw she did not like the little boat to much cuz it is to small and "unsteady" but great for trot lining.

I am thinking of buying it and selling the trailer, keeping the enginge and out drive for back ups, and trashing the hull.

gees i might have caught the bug!! bought a boat now thinking of buying one for extra parts just in case!!!

jonesg

Admiral

If you need a backup engine and outdrive, sell the one you have and get something that doesn't need a spare engine or drive.
Your wife is right. You are being silly.

Bondo

Staff member

gees i might have caught the bug!! bought a boat now thinking of buying one for extra parts just in case!!!

Ayuh,... Considering you bought a 4.3l OMC Cobra,.... I Agree,... You'll be needin' those used parts...
You're gonna need all the help you can get with that Obsolete Marine Co....

Jeep Man

Commander

You already bought the VIP. Your best option is to buy this one, but under no circumstance take it home. Find a place to store the motor and outdrive for when and if you need it, sell the trailer and ditch the hull ASAP.

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you need a backup engine and outdrive, sell the one you have and get something that doesn't need a spare engine or drive.
Your wife is right. You are being silly.

there is nothing wrong with the one that is in the vip I am just thinking about the future dont want to have to spend an ungodly amount of money if something happens to the engine or outdrive that is in the vip

havasuboatman

Ensign

Call the local omc dealer, ask him for a price quote for the purchase of a new motor and drive. Show said quote to your wife, she will probably decide you are right.

86 century

Ensign

If you need to ask the question then you know the answer. I own six boats I did not ask if i could by any of them. Three are eng doners(trashed old trihulls)the other three are in my signature. You will get much more than just a eng and drive like the fuel tank, stearing, power tilt and trim pump ect......

Andy in NY

Commander

this is a tough one... if it were ME, i would NOT buy it. my wife would flip a lid! but its mostly over the money issue. if we had the extra money, then i would.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What's better for you ? Spare parts or a nagging wife!!!

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

I say get the boat, I just went through this. Your first mistake is asking permission to buy it. The math works, there are plenty of parts you can use off of it in addition to the engine and drive. Just don't make the mistake I made, My parts boat turned out to be solid so I started a second boat project with it instead of stripping it. OUCH now she thinks I lied to her :eek: Oh well

Good luck

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, definitely DON'T do what Bill did ^^^^^^ :D

seamorewaterVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, definitely DON'T do what Bill did ^^^^^^ :D

yeah well it is too late last night I was catching up on the thread and my wife walks up and looks at the screen and says what are you looking at so now she knows and thought it was stupid untill we went and looked at how much it would cost to buy replacements from marine suppliers. I basically have the chance to get 2k worth of stuff for $350.00. Both would most likley be in about the same condition since the 2k stuff was used.

Thanks for the input. Main drawback is I'm not sure if I want the boat in my back yard untill I get all the parts romoved and the hull cut up

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like your issue is now storage space. Good luck...with both the boat and wife!;) I know mine would flip.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Seeing as its too late, "May the Force be with You" :D
not to Hijack but I have one question, Why in the world are we all afraid of our Wives WOW, we all do our best not to rock the boat. Who made them the captain anyway? Just thought I'd ask lol

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

HVAC the only two things I'm affraid of are my wife and my mother (in that order) or @ least till my daughter is older then there will be three things and the order will most likely change.