Help! Evinrude Fisherman 6hp won't run/start right

fjazzbass

Recruit
I have a 66 Evinrude Fisherman 6hp motor that I am at the end of my rope with...

The motor is extremely hard to start, and once I get it going (with low speed idle screw in almost all the way (1/4 turn out) I cannot get it to idle at all...

I had recently cleaned out the carb (not much to clean, only changed out gaskets/float, etc- looked spotless inside... just changed points and condenser...no matter what I do with this thing it seems to do the exact same thing...hard to start, once I get it going, it just does not run right...

The last thing I am going to look at here is compression...I have spark and I know I am getting gas...to some degree...what could I be missing here?

As an aside, I think that I had started to overheat it when pushing my sailboat the last time I ran it- (it wasn't 100% then- poor idle) maybe I scored the pistons? I turned it off, let it sit a while and it started again and got me home...I thought I had the carb too lean with an improper float level- also, the idle needle broke off in the carb- have since replaced that and it does NOT run right at all since then....

Since I have also pulled out a stuck open thermostat...changed it out...

Where to start?!? One other aside...it seems to get it started that it REALLY takes a FAST pull on the cord, which leads me to believe low compression?

Help!

Dave
66 Evinrude Fisherman

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Help! Evinrude Fisherman 6hp won't run/start right

Check compression first as it was over heated, second I'd check spark with a spark tester. May run like that due to spark on 1 cyclinder or poor spark on one cylinder.

fjazzbass

Recruit

OK, done...45 psi after 3 or so pulls...looks like I am in for a re-ring in the least? What other possibilities could there be?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

45 is pretty low althought rings wound be last on my list. A really badly blown head gasket would be my first guess, pulling the head will give you much more insight.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

45# is quite low. Maybe due to overheating. I'd also pull the head. You could try a new gasket and use a straight edge to verify that the head is not warped. I had an old 5.5 (same block) that the head gasket blew. Changed it and all was good. When you pull the head do look for scoring. BTW, was it 45# in each cylinder? Tested with both plugs out and the wires grounded?

fjazzbass

Recruit

Yes, plugs were out, but I did not ground the wires...

Also, they were very close to one another (within a pound or 2...lower cylinder seemed maybe a bit lower in pressure than the upper cylinder)

I'll be tearing it apart soon enough...thanks for all the info...

Dave

backyard mechanic

Petty Officer 1st Class

The perfect case for what is said so often in this Thread...... Compression checks, compression checks, compression checks.

fjazzbass

Recruit

Ok, head's off...crusty and nasty...gasket broken in between cylinders and generally looks soaked thru and thru...not sure if water was intruding into the cylinders...cylinders feel very smooth...I can't see any scoring...

Also, took a straight edge against head...I haven't really cleaned it up too much, but initial thoughts are that its pretty true...don't see any light....

Going to clean thoroughly, replace gasket and go back to the drawing board...

Dave

fjazzbass

Recruit

Replaced head gasket- started up on first pull!!!

Now to get my leaky thermostat housing to stop leaking....

Dave

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget to re-torque the cylinder head after running a bit.