1979 Terry Bass Boat???

I am currently looking in to purchasing a '79 Terry Bass Boat off a guy from work. The boat is in decent cosmetic condition but does need a few things. From what he has told me the gas gage, seats and floor need to be replaced. He also said there is an issue with the trim, hes not sure what though, could be something minor or major. The boat comes with a decent shape trailer. Engine on the boat is a 150 Merc I believe, I cant recall, its been awhile since I seen the boat. Everything has been sitting for about 3 yrs now, ran decent last time out, he said it kind of bogged down when idle. The guy is asking $1200 for the boat and trailer. My question is, is it worth what hes asking? I know with out seeing the boat its hard to say, but I'm interested in the boat, and dont really know to much about them so iI figured I'd ask around. Thanks!!:cool:

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1979 Terry Bass Boat???

What you need to ask yourself is what is your total budget? a re deck probably new stringers will set you back 1600-3000 to have it done and about 1200-1500 to do it yourself properly, plus the engine issues? who knows how much. the year the condition and the compression are key thinkgs to know about a motor before making further decisions. from the sound of it and with out seeing it or hands on sounds like you are in for a big project. I know I am in the middle of a redeck on a 25' cc. I have allotted 1500 for materials and I am doing all the work. mind you I have no stinger repair to perform. i think if you took your 1200 and added 3k for safe measures you could get a nicer boat for 4200 than the project at hand. If a project is what you want it's little enought to tackle for a first time as long as you have the knowledgeIf you are set on this set up from your guy I would not pay more than 6-800 because of anticipated repairs. Oh and hope the transom is good too. you'll have to take core samples from the inside in various places to test. if it is crap then run. the boat is not worth it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A fiberglass boat that needs a new floor (which usually needs new stringers and transom as well) has little to no value. The only value is in the motor and trailer. Sounds like the motor could use some work. I probably wouldn't go over $800 and I'd want to do a compression check on the motor. If the compression is good, most everything else can be fixed. Properly replacing the rotted wood components of a fiberglass hull is a very time consuming project and the glassing supplies aren't cheap. However, done right it is likely you can rebuild the boat better than new. I like the old Terry bass boats and that's a nice big motor. If you decide to get it, just prepare yourself for a big project and don't pay too much for it initially.

Bondo

Staff member

The guy is asking $1200 for the boat and trailer. My question is, is it worth what hes asking?

Ayuh,... Only if you hear the motor Run,.... and run Well at that.....

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

when i looked at my boat the motor and trailer were the best part. knowing the boat needed some work. the 3d time out the motor had problems... major problems, even now it has good compression so figure the worst and maybe pleasantly surpised rather than the opposite

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

$1,200 is a lot of coin for a boat that is in need of that much repair. I agree with Bond-o, I would only consider it if the motor is in exceptional shape and a little less money. Spend some time here looking threw some of the fiberglass restorations before making a decision. Another option is to watch craiglist, if you really want a boat there are deals to be had. if you are patient and have a little knowledge, you can find a decent one for a decent price.

Jeff

leer94

Seaman Apprentice

a depends on the motor.
If it does not run or has serious issues I would walk away at ANY price. If it is just that the motor needs a bit of maintenance work after sitting...but will run, has good compression, blah blah blah....then $1200 aint bad money ( at least when compared to what people are selling boats for...go look on boattrader.com...egads!)
I would still offer him about $800 and see what he says. Beside the boat work...the trailer is going to need bearings redone, likely the wiring worked on, tires after sitting so long...

all in all the Terry Boats were not bad little boats.

Willyclay

Captain

Welcome to the iboats.com forum which I believe may be the single best resource for recreational boaters. You have already received some excellent feedback to your question. My contribution is to provide the link below to a rebuild of another Terry bass boat. Good luck!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=297741

Last edited:

Thanks alot guys! No time was wasted getting the responses I needed. So i thought about it, and I have decided to walk away from this one. Just going to look for something that doesnt need much work and spend the extra money. Again thank you for the imput!!:cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If you want to get on the water cheaply with as little potential for wallet-draining disaster....consider an aluminum hull.