Impellor Question

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 duo prop, 350 chevy block I/O. I put a new impellor in about a year ago. The boat was in fresh water last year for 6 months with the new impellor, now it is in dry storage. I am wondering, do i need to change it out every year or run it until i see my temp gauge go up? I personally feel the impellor is could for another boating season since i have not noticed any adverse effects but i am no boat expert. Thanks

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Impellor Question

Tea Bag,

I have almost the same rig as you - VPs but w/SX drives. Unless you have trouble during the season (i.e. heating because of an ice bag in the water wrapped arount the stern unit, or defective impellers from the Mfgr.), I would replace the impellers every couple of years. Three at max.

From my experience, don't run them dry and don't use Globe Blue impellers that claim run-dry capabilities (both mine failed the bond between the impeller and the metal drive center - then overheated both engines) Thanks for NaDa.

I am now thinking of Spring and hope the Cleveland IX center boat show this year is worth the snowy ride over next weekend.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Tea Bag

Seaman Apprentice

Tea Bag,

I have almost the same rig as you - VPs but w/SX drives. Unless you have trouble during the season (i.e. heating because of an ice bag in the water wrapped arount the stern unit, or defective impellers from the Mfgr.), I would replace the impellers every couple of years. Three at max.

From my experience, don't run them dry and don't use Globe Blue impellers that claim run-dry capabilities (both mine failed the bond between the impeller and the metal drive center - then overheated both engines) Thanks for NaDa.

I am now thinking of Spring and hope the Cleveland IX center boat show this year is worth the snowy ride over next weekend.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Thanks for the good information i will follow your advice and go another boating season with the current impellor.

cr2k

Captain

Yea. Every other year is the norm. If used they wear, if stored they take a set and don't pump as well.