Removing stickers

ron755

Seaman Apprentice
I've got another boat, and am having trouble removing the stickers. I tried using a hair dryer, and a product called sticker off, still having trouble. Any suggestions?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Removing stickers

What works for us is using a razor/putty knife and carefully remove the vinyl letters/ numbers and use the remover stuff on the underside glue.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

if its being a real PITA i dont know if it works on gel coat but i removed my pin stripe on my truck with a dry erase wheel in a high speed drill. it preaty much a giant round pencil eraser, worked awsome.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

What finshingman said. I bought an eraser wheel and it made much faster work of my boat's decals and pinstriping. Granted, I had a LOT to remove. Check out my restore thread if you want to research it some more. It didn't cost too much (about $18 I think) for the amount of effort I saved.

If you plan to paint your boat, I hear WD40 is bad news unless you do some heavy duty cleaning and degreasing afterward.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try a heat gun instead of a hair dryer and a plastic paint scraper

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class

Eraser wheel is the ONLY way to fly... get one and you'll be done fairly quickly. No mess either.

Islandbrah

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Heat gun could blister the gel coat. The eraser wheel is definitely the way to go. I used mine on a yamaha cowling and it removed the sticker with no worries. and it doesn not leave a residue like cleaners. they are cheap and can be had at body shop supply stores cheap too. insert into power drill and presto. just watch the heat build up. move it around randomly if you get too hot you could brown the surface.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've removed numerous boat stickers/id #/tabs using the big eraser wheel, works perfectly. Of course, that is the actual tool meant for the job so you would expect it to work! (ask for a pinstripe remover wheel in any decent auto parts store)

Just make sure not to go too fast and let it cool down if you are doing a big area. It is possible to leave brown burn marks if you get the rubber too hot.

rpascuzzo

Recruit

I just removed the pinstripes and water line stripes on a 23' Bayliner. I followed the advice above and used the 3M stripe removal wheel. It did a great job and left no problems behind other than a little color blur, here and there, that should rub right out with some compound. Do not waste your time with other methods that can scratch your gel coat. 3M part number 7498 complete with arbor. 1 wheel did the whole boat with plenty to spare.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are 2 types of wheels the solid and the ones made of multiple thiner pieces. The multi disk ones work better then the solid style.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I used a heat gun on the lowest setting to remove the vinyl leters followed by a product called "goof off". Granted, it removed every last bit of wax as well, but it took the adhesive residue off quick fast and in a hurry. A few years back my wife got into a little fender bender in a parking lot. There was a big black scuff on the side of her bumper. A little goof off and some elbow grease and it was good as new! One warning, though, don't use it in a confined area!:eek:

dsiekman

I used a heat gun on the lowest setting to remove the vinyl leters followed by a product called "goof off".

Oh yeah, you can pick it up at just about any home improvement store, usually near the paint department.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

somebody told me that oven cleaner works really well, tho I've never actually tried it...

badkins50

I know this is an old thread and they probably got their stickers off by know but I used WD and a straight blade with patients.