Jon Boat conversion

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am attempting to convert my plain Jon to have some storage compartments, decks and carpet. Will try to post some before and after photos. Any ideas on how to do this? P.S. The boat on the Avatar is not my Jon ok?

Last edited:

drewpster

Commander
Re: Jon Boat conversion

That's a great idea. I know there are lots of folks on here with smaller fishing boats that would like to know how to have more storage.
We would love to see some pics of your ideas.
I think fist thing to consider is the size of the boat and the weight you will be adding to it. How you proceed is going to depend on the design of the boat. Less is generally more when you are working on a small boat.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. The boat is a 14ft Monarch and it is about 5ft wide at center.It looks as though I will use one 2x4x6 and maybe two + sheets 1/2 PT plywood. How can I post pic on this site? When I tried it said files where two large. Any advice on the project or the pic will be appreciated.

Last edited:

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I went to photo bucket and saw the pic but couldn't download to iboats as of yet. Going to bed, any ideas? I am using firefox. Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

On every photo you have on photobucket there should be a "Share this image" box with some links in it. The IMG code link is the one you copy/paste into here. Make sure you size to 640x480.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I have so far hope they come through.

Share 0111000943.jpg Share
Share 0111000944a-2.jpg Share 0111000943b.jpg

Last edited:

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

The new sized picture of the front section of my pre converted Jon.

Last edited:

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had console added. Thanks ezemobe for the info on adding pic I think I finally got it.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the stern of boat with gas tank and battery.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will post some some after photos in a couple of days. I know little wood as possible on a boat, so I will try to limit the wood as much as possible. I am just happy with my side console conversion. This is the old boat before the side console.

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

cvtech1 not trying to discourage you from the project, But if I were you I would use Aluminum angle from say Lowes or Home Depot instead of the 2x4's. It will be fine to use the Plywood for the decking but you might want to go with a bit thicker than 1/2" and coat it with resin to seal out the water. Get a rivet gun and some rivets or stainless steel screws to attach the aluminum. Here is what I am talking about for the aluminum. 2nd link gives you real good ideas and shows how. http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=aluminum+angle&x=0&y=0
http://www.secretweaponlures.com/odf/odfsite.html

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I appreciate the info about the aluminum. not getting discouraged at all about the wood but I am about these pic I have been trying to post. It looked like they were there last night on photobucket and I am looking here at work and I see no pic. What's going on? Anyone?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The best low cost method for a small aluminum boat floor is to just use some 1/2 ply, cut it to fit, use a couple 2x4s to support under it where needed, then paint it with porch paint and add some non skid stuff to it (many things to choose from). You don't need to fasten it, it will stay in place easily without being screwed down.

This can be done for very little money, can be removed for cleaning, you can store the floor indoors during the off season to make it last longer and if it rots you can build another one cheaply.

fishrdan

Admiral

I did something similar to what ondarvr posted, but I low decked my jon boat with plywood and 1x1 pine ribs attached to the bottom of the removable decks, between the boat's ribs. I used 3/8 ply and foamed underneath the decks,,, and it feels rock solid while walking on it. (Yeah, yeah I know,,, foam below the deck is bad since it can suck up water and rot the wood... I live in the desert and haven't had a problem with the decks/foam getting water logged. I've even weighed them to make sure :D If you live in a wet/humid area, this might not be the best idea.) My front deck has one heck of a bow to it and I bet you are wondering how I got the ply to match the boat's curve. Well I didn't do too much since Lowes had a sheet of 3/8" plywood that had 1/2 of it warped really bad, warped to almost the exact curve of the bow. I did soak the plywood in water, weighed it down and let it dry to match the boat's hull perfect though... One thing, if you hack apart your boat and removing foam like I did, make sure you replace it with the same volume. I have more foam in the boat than was in there to begin with. Here's a couple pics to give you some ideas. (I have more pics, these are just the ones I had web accessible)

dscf2187.jpg

dscf2181.jpg

dscf2606.jpg

In the last pic you can see how the seat top is split and accessible while sitting on the seat. I rolled a lip over on the aluminum seat bulkheads to give the openings strength, and hold the 2" foam in place,,, lots of patience and tapping with a ball peen hammer so the rounded corners didn't split while rolling them over.

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey cvtech1, delete or reduce the size of the first pic you have posted, kind of hard to read with the wide picture posted... :p

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the info guys I will work on my pics. Wood and paint will due, I should of just done just that and will eventually have to. This is my first rodeo and trying to make my jon look better is just something to do. I will post some more pic as I go and hope she's not too heavy. COME ON SPRING!!