Looking to buy rear view mirror

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like your recommendations on what brand mirror to buy. I find myself looking backwards to check who may be coming up behind me so I thought why not just get a mirror.
What do you recommend for my 03 SX-195 Glastron? I don't think I can have one that goes above the windshield on account of the cover that I use. I was seaching thru the Overtons catalog and found a few different ones but need your opinion.

paul

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Looking to buy rear view mirror

Ayuh,... Whichever 1 trips your trigger I guess,...

I bought a chrome 4" spot from Napa,+ built my own bracket.....

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought one that clamps onto the windshield frame with a small thumb screw. I keep it in the cubby right below the dash so when the cover comes off it takes about 1 minute to put on and it works quite well. I thought about one that attaches to the tower with a long arm, then I saw what they wanted for them and thought I can spend 2 minutes per trip on the windshield one and save myself a couple hundred bucks.. I put a little mark on the frame with a sharpie so it goes on the exact place that its set for every time.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You see lots of ski boats using those convex mirrors, they have great coverage, mounting could be as easy as a suction cup.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same boat and used an above the windsheild mount that had thumb screws the cost was about 39.99 from Overtons. Took about a minute to remove and put on the cover. It didn't obscure the forward vision through the windshield and had great veiw behind me.

Jim
2008 Larson LXI 208, Volvo 5.0 GXI 270HP

ziggy

Admiral

xxxflhrci

Chief Petty Officer

I have a convex on from Overton's that sticks to the inside of the windshield via a suction cup. I think it was less than 20 bucks. No complaints.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

i've no suggestion on what mirror to get. as you've found out, there's many options. i'm sure iboats has a good selection too... http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Ac...505939--submit.Search--submit.x.0--submit.y.0
what i will say is there's no substitute for continually looking 360* around. get a mirror, but continue to keep a lookout.....

+1

A mirror might help me spot the boat coming up from directly behind me. Well, that isn't the boat I'm concerned about. It's the one coming at me from aft of my port or starboard beam that'll surprise me if I'm not watching.

I have no use for a mirror- my head is on a swivel when I'm underway, as it should be.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

I bought this one through iboats.

http://www.iboats.com/Cipa-Ellipse-Mirror/dm/*******.369211395--**********.283245813--view_id.38305

I like the fact that I can adjust the two outside mirrors to port and starboard. The middle mirror is fixed but gives a good view of what's going on behind the boat. I have it mounted on the windshield frame but it hangs below the windshield so it doesn't interfere with my cover. A small portion of the clamp protrudes above the frame but no biggie.

Doesn't replace turning my head but does help me put a quick eye on wakeboarders, tubers, etc. I like to know where they are before entering a turn. And yes I also ALWAYS use a spotter. The mirror is for quick position checks.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

Found a pic of the mirror mounted on the windshield but having a hard time resizing to make it work. Argggg iphoto!!:mad:

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried two different mirrors that attached to the windshield frame - no luck, they weren't big enough to fit around the frame. And it appeared to me that they would likely scratch the frame.

So I moved on to a suction cup mirror that I place on the inside of the glass - works like a charm. As the other poster said, I don't solely rely on it - and we always have a spotter - but it is handy.

prc03sx195

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The ones using the suction cup convex, do they hold up well without any shaking or bobbing when going thru the water? How well do they hold on? Thanks

paul

rbh

Fleet Admiral

as long as they're a good quality suction cup you should just be able to lickem and stickem (bet you cant say this anywhere else in this forum and get away with it) till the end of the season.:)

Last edited:

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ones using the suction cup convex, do they hold up well without any shaking or bobbing when going thru the water? How well do they hold on? Thanks

The mirror assembly itself stays on the windshield just fine - even during transport. However, when the boat is on the water in motion it does "shake and shimmy" a bit; too much for my liking...but again, I've not found a better option <$100.

204 Escape

Ensign

iboats has a NICE selection of mirrors. I picked one up at Cabela's, for myself, as I needed one NOW. Bass Pro, or your local baot dealership would be places to look.

(IF you are in no hurry, why NOT order from iboats?? The fine folks who provides you a place to talk boats ??) ;)