1994 Evinrude 60 surging

viking66

Cadet
Hi all,

I got a great deal on this motor $500.00, could not pass it up.

The motor is a E60TTLERV 1994. My problem is when I run at WOT it will start to surge. The surges are about 400 RPM down, then back up, then it will occasinally stay down, and not come back up.

I have had the carbs off, cleaned, and every orofice blown out. The guy I bought the motor from had re-built them like a month ago, so the gaskets are good, and so are the needle and seat valves. Floats at level, when I checked them.

My gas line is about 12' long, continuous to the line that has the ball in it.
I have checked for leaks, and did not find any. I have a clear filter and
can see it is still full the next morning after pumped it up.

Not sure what else to check, so please hand out a few of those good ideas I see you guys give.;) ;)

Thanks in advance...

Thom

iwombat

Captain
Re: 1994 Evinrude 60 surging

Sounds like maybe you've got a cylinder cutting out. Have you done a spark test?

viking66

Cadet

Checked spark, good blue lightnng at 7/16" All cylinders at 120 psi after warmed up.

Thought it may be the power pack, but am not going to spend that knd of money unless t really s broke.

At 4600-4800RPM no problems what so ever.

viking66

Cadet

Could it be the fuel pump not keepng up at the higher RPMs? Or when they die, they die?

It is a straght fuel pump no VRO attached.

viking66

Cadet

Do I need to provide any more detailed info?

Regards,

Thom

niner

Cadet

Could be your fuel line isn't big enough, 3/8" is min. at that length. Check your bulb at WOT and see if it is sucking its self inside out. Outside of that I'd say check the ignition.

viking66

Cadet

It is 3/8" line all the way to the motor. I was able to look at the ball, and it appeared fine at WOT.

Can a coil give this kind of trouble? Is it more likely a Power pack?

Would hope it is a coil since they are alot cheaper than a Power pack.

Thanks for the response.

viking66

Cadet

Guess I asked this wrong somehow.

My manual showed up today, so I will figure it out myself.

iwombat

Captain

If you have a timing light you can attach it to each plug wire one at a time to see if you're missing spark on any cylinders while it's surging.

iwombat

Captain

Another thing to check is your fuel pump. When you pump the bulb does it stay hard, or go soft right away? If the latter, you could have a tear in the membrane causing gas to go directly into the powerhead from the fuel pump.

Other than that I'd say it's in the ignition someplace.

You can also try running it at night to see if any sparks are jumping off the coils or plug wires. They're a lot more visible in the dark.

Keep telling us what you find along the way.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

sounds like you got a good deal,Im thinking a sparkplug,plug wire,coil,bad ground to coil,or a dirty connection on either side of the coil,meaning the smaller wire that plugs into the powerpack or a rusty connection on the plugwire either side,.Did you try squeezing the ball while the surging was happining?if it clears the prob.when you do it,the pump would be suspect if all filters and lines are clean

viking66

Cadet

I had the time today to clean every connection I could fnd on the motor. Maybe overkill, but I had nothing else to do, so what the heck.

I did notice some corrosion under the #3 coil ground strap. Not sure if this is it since I did not get the chance to take the boat out today.

Rain tomorrow, so maybe Sat?

Thanks for the responses.

Thom

viking66

Cadet
Re: 1994 Evinrude 60 surging Update

Re: 1994 Evinrude 60 surging Update

OK,

Had a chance to put the boat 18' flat in the water yesterday. I took my neighbor out with me in case I had to do more testing. The motor seemed to run much better.

After I got my manual, I did the throttle Sync, because I kind of knew it was not set correctly when I got it. I also cleaned every ground I could find, and put star washers on the coil and power pack connections becuase they were missng. Manuals are so good at showing every component.

After the throttle sync I got 5800RPM, where as before I was only gett 5400, so that is good. 29.1 MPH per my GPS.

We drove the boat around for about an hour, and found that the cause of the surging is probably caused by the way the boat goes in the water. When traveling on smooth water it did not surge one bit. Ran at least a mile or 2 WOT. When a Tug came by we took it through it's wake. As soon as we hit the first wave it went down only about 200 RPM, not 400 like before. The boat it'self seemed to be sluggish going through the waves, which to us made it seem like the motor had to make up for the extra power needed.

Once through the waves, the RPMs picked right back up and remaned steady.

I am very happy wth this result, and will probably not be running at WOT unless needed to get out of a trouble spot.

Thanks all...

Thom