That age old question..............

Dreads0518

Cadet
I know you guys have been able to help most folks, so I hope you can do so once again....:)

I really tried NOT to post this and find the information on my own. I've looked and looked and looked and I cant seem to find any info on this motor. Theres no plates anywhere on it. I was able to scrape the paint off of the transom bracket and obtain some numbers, but I have no earthly idea what they mean...:confused:... Here they are, hope you can help.

25E01

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: That age old question..............

I know you guys have been able to help most folks, so I hope you can do so once again....:)

I really tried NOT to post this and find the information on my own. I've looked and looked and looked and I cant seem to find any info on this motor. Theres no plates anywhere on it. I was able to scrape the paint off of the transom bracket and obtain some numbers, but I have no earthly idea what they mean...:confused:... Here they are, hope you can help.

25E01

And the age old answer is that those numbers don't help. You gotta find the model number. How about a clue---about what size motor and approximate year? Otherwise we are looking for a needle in a haystack. Got a picture?

Dreads0518

Cadet

I"ll take pics tomorrow

All I know Its a 25hp, 80's era (maybe 85-86). The entire outer shell was repainted before I got it.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

there is a 25ECI in 81 that might be mistaken for25EO1.

Dreads0518

Cadet

Could be sir....You guys here would have a better chance than me to come up with the correct answer.

Heres a few pics......................

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Dreads0518

Cadet

Any help with this????
Or do I give up and call a mechanic ??

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Any help with this????
Or do I give up and call a mechanic ??

It's newer than 86, 87 and up, the lanyard in the tiller handle is the give away, they switched to that style in 87.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's newer than 86, 87 and up, the lanyard in the tiller handle is the give away, they switched to that style in 87.

And after more looking it's at least an 89, the 88 didn't have the exhaust relief cover like yours does on the rear of the midsection.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1989 20hp that looks just like this motor. You will need a more complete model number off of the transom bracket to get a precise year. If you had a 1989, it would be something like this: J25ECEB This model would be an electric start. For a tiller electric start the model number would be J25TECEB. Check out this link where you can decipher the model number: http://www.lasvegaspix.com/projects/pdf_files/evinrude-johnson-gale-ID-chart.pdf

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Has to be from 89 to maybe 93. Has the under the flywheel power pack.