boat ID

bronkorob

Cadet
not sure if this is the right spot to post but this seems to be where the older baot experts hang out. i am inheriting an old boat from some family members. it was bought by my grandfather new from sears around 1970? its 17' and thats about all i know about it so far til i go and finally pick it up. my folks remember playing with it in the 70s and they were too busy having fun rather than remembering specifics. motor has been swapped and it has been well taken care of and used by friends and family here and there throughout the years. so just wondering what i am getting? what company made boats for sears around 1970? does this look familiar to anyone or is it too generic to ID. i cant find too much info on sears boats, anyone know any good websites i can check out? thanks for any help or advice.

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
Re: boat ID

Thats one nice looking boat..seems to be in great shape.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

Could be:

In 1968 MFG Boat Corporation began producing boats for Sears. These models were the Gamefisher and later the Adventurer series boats. The Sears line was produced in Ashtabula, not Union City as one might think. According to one MFG contact, this continued into the very early 80's.

I don't know for sure, but I googled "who made Sears boats in the 70's and found that info...

bronkorob

Cadet

thanks for all the info guys, ive looked at pics of both crestliner and MFG and it looks like it can go either way. so i was told it is a 1968 if that helps. i am going to go get this boat in 2 weeks than hoefully i can put the mystery to rest with a manufacturer tag or something that makes it obvious or easy to identify. also if it is an MFG or crestliner, they both seem to be fairly good boat manufacturers of the day, at least from what i have read about on here. i will keep my fingers crossed.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

The title may have some pertinent info on the manufacturer...maybe, maybe not. Either way, looks like a nice rig...enjoy and keep it in the family for your kids.

bronkorob

Cadet

ok i got the boat! it is is great shape, jsut needs seats! title says sears and robuck, so no new info there. its for sure a 68, got the original bill of sale along with the trailer info, 67 sears trailer. the vin tag says sears, all info says 1968 sears with 1967 trailer. 1800 bucks brand ew according to the reciept...lol well we will see how it goes, hope to take it out next weekend. anyone else have a 60s sears?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice boat! Take care of that Mercury....that is a great motor! Enjoy!

bronkorob

Cadet

the motor was just gone threw not to long ago and they said it was one of the best motors they had ever dynod. all cylinders EXACT same pressure, all carb pulling the EXACT same. i guess this is hard to come by because the marine shop guess seemed impressed also.
as far as seats go. anyone in southern california know about getting used seats anywhere? is there such a place that exists for boats, kinda like car wrecking yards? Am i just dreaming and need to just eat the money and order brand new seats? also pulled up the carpet to take a look under for damage, only found 1 small soft spot in the back left corner, about a square foot in size. that was the only damage i have seen on this so far. so a small project for the next few months. hope to have it ready for summer.

pcbw75

Recruit

That is one GREAT boat and motor combo...my uncle had the same boat with a Mercury inline 6 135hp on the back (red band tower of power). Great looking and built boat. Keep that boat! if you ever sell it...let me know please. I'm looking for one simular!

Enjoy!
Pete