2001 150hp HPDI bogs and surges AGAIN

BTF112989

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everybody!
Recently my 2001 150hp HPDI has begun surging while getting up on plane. The rpm's will be reading in the 3000 range, then the engine will cut back to in the 1000 range for a split second, then it will bounce back to 3000 again. This might happen once or several times while planing off. The problem does not occur once I'm on plane though. I replaced the VST and medium pressure filter in April, so I'm thinking its too soon for those to clog up again. I have had engine surge and bogging down problems several times in the past several years. The only thing that looked out of the ordinary during a quick visual inspection was that the water/fuel separating filter cup had some air in it. Only about an inch of the filter was submerged in gas, the rest had air around it. I don't know if thats normal or not, but I thought I would add that in.

1st time: water/fuel separating filter was the culprit
2nd time: Corroded battery cables because bogging only occurred while trimming engine up
3rd time: medium pressure filter and VST filter were the culprits. Also replaced water/fuel separating filter again at that time.

All three times, the symptoms were all the same with the engine bogging down and surging back to normal operating rpm.

So do y'all think the VST or medium pressure filter could clog up that fast(changed in April, engine has been run maybe 40 hours since then) again?

Also, do y'all have any other ideas of what the problem could be? I'm afraid its the two filters in the High Pressure pump...

Thanks,
Ben

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2001 150hp HPDI bogs and surges AGAIN

Have you checked your fuel pumps pressures and lines for restrictions and sucking air?
here is a good post in the frequent asked questions section of this forum on checking fuel system.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283363

If all is good there then you need to check all of the filters not just some of them