Best Grease? 3hp Evinrude

rob reber

Cadet
I recently torn into my father's old 3 hp lightwin (1965). The swivel that holds the lower unit was almost "welded" together by the grease that my father had pumped into the grease fitting years ago. I eventually got off all the grease with gasoline. I would imaine that he probably just used ordinary bearing grease. I was wondering what grease you all would recommend? Thanks in advance for your time!

-Rob

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best Grease? 3hp Evinrude

I personally have some specifically from BRP/OMC. I bought it from a local authorized repair facility. It's blue-ish in color. I was buying some other parts anyways, and saw the grease, so I picked some up.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It used to be a white lubri-plate, the correct grase as stated above is triple-guard.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I understand that the OMC triple guard grease is an outstanding product. I just use the marine grease available at places like Walmart. I think the key is that you need to regularly grease the fittings. Even with the triple guard, it would likely loose its consistency over the years of just sitting.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I understand that the OMC triple guard grease is an outstanding product. I just use the marine grease available at places like Walmart. I think the key is that you need to regularly grease the fittings. Even with the triple guard, it would likely loose its consistency over the years of just sitting.

All of the present day motor builders have their own brand of waterproof marine grease, Evinrude, Yamaha, Mercury, whomever. It is all excellent stuff. Take your pick.

BTW, that old white "type A" grease from OMC wasn't as good as it was cracked up to be. I'm admitting that, even after having sold a ton of it (well almost). The Triple Guard is light years better.

jshouk

Cadet

i love mobil 1 synthetic. it's impervious to everything. jon s

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Triple guard is great but any marine grease is very good.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oh yea....freeing up the swivel.....done that a time or two. A good project with lots of patience. I had to remove the grease fittings and spray in gasoline, WD-40 or whatever and slowly work them back and forth.:cool:

rob reber

Cadet

Thanks for the help! I also had to remove the grease fittings, and I poured gasoline down them to get that old white grease to break up. It took a bit of time.