New to iboats, restoring old boat

Gary Taylor

Cadet
I have been through a lot of the forums in here. Every forum that I have read about redoing the floor has taken the boat off the trailer. I'm wondering if I leave the boat on the trailer, would it buckle? I bought the boat in '76 and it's a '68 model larson 18 ft. The big problem is that it has an eaton unit on it. The engine is simple. It's a 302 Ford. I don't know if I need any parts for the unit yet. The motor hasn't been started for 10 or 11 years. For a couple of hours yesterday, I had it running. Thanks for any help. It's going to be a long project, because I'm not going to work on it everyday. Glad I found this site. There's a lot of good information in here.
Thanks,
Gary

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: New to iboats, restoring old boat

Gary Taylor,
First, Welcome to Iboats.
Depends on what type trailer you have. rollers or bunks?
I have left mine on the trailer during the rebuild alone with a lot of others. My trailer has long bunks and I have had no measurable change in the hull shape.
Post some Pic's. We Reilly like pic's. :D
Bob

Gary Taylor

Cadet

It has rollers up the center and long rails up each side, Can't get pictures to upload trying again today thank you.

Last edited:

jonesg

Admiral

OPen a photobucket account,free, then resize from there.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Gary,
The pictures are very small. I had issues to when I first started posting pictures too so I will break it down for you real easy on what to do.

1. When you go to photobucket to upload your pics under "upload images and video" is "more options." Click on more options and then select larger(640X480) and then click "save". Now every time you upload pics it will automatically save them on photobucket to that resolution (640X480) is optimal size for this forum.

2. When you want to post a pic on this site you need to go to photo bucket and view your "entire album." Whatever pic you want to post on here scroll over it with your mouse. When you do all this stuff will pop up under the picture-
Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code
IMG Thumb
Flash Code

3. From here you want to copy the content that is in the "IMG Code" box. I right click and "copy" that content and then move back to the iboats site.

4. Once back on the iboats site you need to "create new post" and then scroll over the little pic with the mountain and little sun in it(this is the "insert image box"). Once you click on that you will see another content box that has http:// in it. I usually delete that, and then right click, and "paste." Your photobucket picture information will now show up in there.

5. Then click "ok" and your image will show up in your message. It will still look like a link image code but that is what it looks like until you either "preview post" or "submit post". If you "preview post" you will now see your pic on the screen and not as a thumbnail. And once you "submit post" it will show up like a picture as well.

I had issues posting with my mac so I used my pc to post pics instead. I do exactly what I said above and it works every time.

Hope this helps.
Mick
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

As long as the boat isn't that long & you don't take the cap off you should be okay. I did mine on the trailer, but it had bunks.

Also, for future reference you should refer to your floor as your 'deck'. Some members are pretty adamant on correct terminology;) Besides, all hands on floor doesn't sound right.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Gary Taylor,
If your bunks are long enough it should support it even if you pull the top. Take some measurements across the boat and check it again after you pull the top half off.
You can even use straps to hold it or pull it back into position if needed.
I have done all my work on the trailer, with the top half off. I haven't had any problems.
If you don't have bunks then I would get it supported by adding bunks or a cradle off the trailer.
My 2 cents worth.
Bob