dipstick removal question

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
I posted a ways back about a dipstick tube that rusted off from the top odf the block and now is flush with the block.

I have since pulled the engine and am going to attempt to get it out
I have the pan off do i smack it out from near the oil pump and how does the new one get installed -does it just slide down from the top of the block ? thanks for any answers

Bondo

Staff member
Re: dipstick removal question

Ayuh,... It's just a resistence fit into the block,... tap out the old,+ tap in the new..

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Generally, A dipstick tube is a lite press fit from the top down. I was able to remove one ounce with a 1/4 in easy out. Ernie

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

so tap it up from the bottom and the push new in from top?

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys much appreciated :D

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

....and slip an approprite sized capscrew in the end you are working on....then drive 'er in/out. The capscrew keeps the tue end from deforming.
FWIW.....Ed in 'ol Virginny:)

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: dipstick removal question UPDATED

no go today used a sledge hammer from the bottom and didnt budge -going to pb blast it for a few days and try some new methods -Its fused to the block at the top so i have a a tenth of an inch protruding around the rim of the block. not much to work with. Thinking about using the easy out -im moving slow so i dont muck it up. going to use some heat and we shall see. Ill keep the thread updated thanks guys

--- I drilled it out today it rusted smack in the middle of the block -impossible to get it out without drilling. Thanks for all the help - I fought with it for quite a bit before going to the power drill -it was my last resort. Hopefully wont have to many problems on the installation of the new - i tried to really keep the drill bit size to the inside diameter of the tube. Is the tube tapered or is the the hole tapered?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

no go today used a sledge hammer from the bottom and didnt budge -going to pb blast it for a few days and try some new methods -Its fused to the block at the top so i have a a tenth of an inch protruding around the rim of the block. not much to work with. Thinking about using the easy out -im moving slow so i dont muck it up. going to use some heat and we shall see. Ill keep the thread updated thanks guys

--- I drilled it out today it rusted smack in the middle of the block -impossible to get it out without drilling. Thanks for all the help - I fought with it for quite a bit before going to the power drill -it was my last resort. Hopefully wont have to many problems on the installation of the new - i tried to really keep the drill bit size to the inside diameter of the tube. Is the tube tapered or the hole?

I think if you look at the new tube you will see the whole story.

atomb

Petty Officer 1st Class

just an update -i had to drill the darn thing out it rusted in the middle of the hole that runs thru the block there was absolutely no way to get it out without the drill.I used a bit that was as close to the diameter of the hole possible. Hopefully this wont pose a problem witht the new dipstick tube. Thanks for the help and support-

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

It will be fine as long as you got all of the old tube out so your new one slides in...